Dartcharge for converted van...worth checking!

REC

Forum Member
I have tried without success to change our converted van to motor caravan but apparently it does not look like one ( see other threads). Noticed that dartcharge are still rating it as a class C which is dearer whereas it should be class B (same as cars) as it is a van with side windows. Contacted them by email with no answer so rang today, and the lady insisted at first that the DVLA say it is class C. When I insisted that it is a motorhome, she went off " to speak to a colleague " and when she came back, said they had reviewed the image and it " is clearly a campervan" so will reduce my charges from now on! So, it's worth checking if you use the tunnel a lot as, despite the DVLA ( & police?) thinking it doesn't look like a motor caravan, there are some who do!
posting this on sister sites

Bronwyn

Oh man the recent strict rules screwed us too. We did it specifically to qualify for better insurance though so no idea what to do now. What insurer do you use, and did they recognise your self-conversion (which is £££££!) thank you for your insight!

wildebus

Forum Member
Oh man the recent strict rules screwed us too. We did it specifically to qualify for better insurance though so no idea what to do now. What insurer do you use, and did they recognise your self-conversion (which is £££££!) thank you for your insight!
plenty of insurers will insure a self-converted camper as a camper if it meets the DVLA requirements internally even if the DVLA have refused to reclassify due to the external appearance.
Don't bother with the comparision websites - they are no use for this. You need to make phone calls to the various brokers.
AIB is one and there is a discount code for full members.
I am with A-Plan. They also insured my VW T5 which was converted. I never requested a reclassification but it was insured as a Camper always
Plenty of folk are with Adrian Flux. They insure loads of self-conversions and no doubt will still insure DVLA refusuals.
and lots more beside those 3.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)