Control iKea Tradfri with Venus GX Large Image (Node-Red)

wildebus

Forum Member
Interesting. I put a 400W Oil rad in the motorhome today and was going to use an Alexa controlled socket to remotely turn on and off (got an Alexa setup in the motorhome). But I did think about using a relay-controlled socket to automate it based on temp sensor data, which would be a better plan (I have sockets that are controlled via the Cerbo Relay 2, but those are currently outside sockets only)

To use the Smart plug above, do you need to use the GPIO connection on the Pi, or will Node Red recognise it if it is on the same Intranet subnet?

xsilvergs

Forum Member
The gpio pins are used to re-flash the cc_2531 board only. This would probably be the most frightening bit of the whole project.

Node-Red on your Cerbo communicates with the Smart Socket over zigbee WiFi via the cc_2531. I was surprised that the the Venus OS had the drivers for the cc_2531 but it works.

wildebus

Forum Member
The gpio pins are used to re-flash the cc_2531 board only. This would probably be the most frightening bit of the whole project.

Node-Red on your Cerbo communicates with the Smart Socket over zigbee WiFi via the cc_2531. I was surprised that the the Venus OS had the drivers for the cc_2531 but it works.
Are these the same sockets? - https://amzn.to/3hu6Rn3

PS. Possible aside. I have 2 (maybe 3?) different types of Smart Sockets and I found if I have one of them (maybe the Tapo brand I think?), then the other one cannot be accessed. This is with Alexa control, but there could be a conflict of drivers between socket types using other interfaces?
I don't know if it is relevant to using the Node Red/Venus stuff if expanding the setup but just mentioning it in case unexpected quirks arise.

xsilvergs

Forum Member
Are these the same sockets? - https://amzn.to/3hu6Rn3

PS. Possible aside. I have 2 (maybe 3?) different types of Smart Sockets and I found if I have one of them (maybe the Tapo brand I think?), then the other one cannot be accessed. This is with Alexa control, but there could be a conflict of drivers between socket types using other interfaces?
I don't know if it is relevant to using the Node Red/Venus stuff if expanding the setup but just mentioning it in case unexpected quirks arise.
This is the Smart Socket I bought Ikea Smart Socket. The ones in your link are zigbee so may work but I have no experience with them.

This is the cc_2531 I purchased.

As for multiple devices I can't comment as this is the first I have bought having always built my own in the past. I may purchase more in the future but there must be a limit to the number that can be fitted in a motorhome.

Last edited:

wildebus

Forum Member
Looks good. What is the bit sticking out? (not the USB plug end I meant)

FWIW, I usually use Lego bricks to make cases. Actually surprisingly effective and efficient :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)