Compost toilet review

REC

Forum Member
We have had a composting toilet in our off grid house for many years. It is never smelly, no problems with flies and a much nicer solution. It was a temporary one to start with but so easy that we have now made it permanent. We have a composting heap where it is buried and it is left for two years before use. Home made version with purchased separator. Now have similar in campervan ( But smaller) , bag and bin is NOT composting toilet system. We don't use the loo for no. 2's unless no other option so it usually lasts us at least two months before needing emptying. Many boaters have a spare composting bin on board to store compost. Not room in our van!

mistericeman

Forum Member
We use bio degradable bags they are not plastic but made of vegetable starch

Read my mind....

Most sensible dog owners have been doing that for years...
And frankly little IF any difference with human waste (or any other omnivore waste for that matter)

REC

Forum Member
Sawdust (cat litter pellets), coffee grounds, etc etc...
The world is your oyster as far as bio degradable covering materials make it a,
much greener system IMHO than at worst using nasty chemicals and at best good clean water....

Used correctly and managed properly, composting loos are great things.

There will always be those that don't like the idea (mostly those that have used 'Latrines'... Many years ago OR those that just can't get their heads around not using clean water to flush.
I was going the compost loo route in the next van after the transit Jumbo BUT ended up getting a, Moho instead...
And sadly the built in cassette loos are difficult to convert due to the size of the cassette compartment.
There is a German make which is stupid expensive but is very compact. Can't find the link!
Or if bucket and chuck it

Can get various disposable options and fit kits( kildwick)
Basically the smallest size width it can be is a toilet seat size! The height is up to now big you need it.
I did wonder whether the whole setup could be rotated on a swivel somehow to fit the same as a thetford!
P_20190216_153031_1_p.jpg
IMG_20190214_153435.jpg

Nabsim

Forum Member
Don’t suppose the dimensions of the separator lend itself to fitting inside a thetford swivel?

wildebus

Forum Member
This is why I reckon if someone could do a setup that is a direct replacement for the popular cassette loos, it would be really popular

REC

Forum Member
Don’t suppose the dimensions of the separator lend itself to fitting inside a thetford swivel?
I have the feeling they might as just a normal sized seat, the problem would be emptying the cassette as Thetfords have a liquid exit and composters need more of a bucket . I am sure someone clever on here could adapt one!
Kelwicks were talking in 2016 of doing one but never saw one, then the company changed hands.

mistericeman

Forum Member
I have the feeling they might as just a normal sized seat, the problem would be emptying the cassette as Thetfords have a liquid exit and composters need more of a bucket . I am sure someone clever on here could adapt one!
Kelwicks were talking in 2016 of doing one but never saw one, then the company changed hands.

I wonder IF it could be made to work IF you were using A BIO bag dump it idea.

I suspect a lot of folks wouldn't want to go the whole compost/humanure route anyway in a campervan anyway....

REC

Forum Member
It is very easy to compost if you aren't fulltiming. Then you would need some secondary compost box, or good friends with land. Bagging it really isn't a composting system.

REC

Forum Member
Bit scarey and pricey
Great idea but waiting for them to be more refined!

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
I'm not ever accepting an offer of food or drink form a caravaner or motorhomer!
I hate to think what people do to avoid using their limited resources. Personal hygiene is not just about you.

Studies have been done that show how easily bacteria can be transferred from one surface to another.

Debs

Forum Member
I think there is definitely some benefits of "composting' toilets (not sure why they are actually called that as nobody empties them to use as compost).
There seems to be two extremes with them ... The commercially produced ones at frankly rediculous prices or the DIY modified buckets
If there was a reasonably priced Thetford/Dometic swap out system I bet it would be mega-popular and the makers could bag themselves a ****load of money :)
Just a minute Dave, I bring my compost home and it goes into a large composting bin in the garden, so some people do use the compost besides myself.

Reactions: REC

wildebus

Forum Member
Just a minute Dave, I bring my compost home and it goes into a large composting bin in the garden, so some people do use the compost besides myself.
yup, my "nobody" was a bit sweeping there, but I reckon you are still in a very small minority :)

Dalton07

Forum Member
I bought this nature’s head RV self contained composting toilet to be installed in my RV. It's an appropriate option. This product has durable construction with stainless steel hardware, simple to disassemble for easy dumping, features a low volume fan inside the toilet’s head to dissipate odor effectively. I was also thrilled to see how well it did, keeping my bathroom odor-free.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
I think what ever you do, leave no trace. If you are going to dump your toilet waste, dig a hole and bury it. If it doesn’t decompose in a realistic time, use a local waste collection service. Just remember, in the future there will be another Tony Robinson. You don’t want the world to know what a dirty low life you are. (only aimed at those it suits)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)