Communication failures by the DVLA about what a campervan is leave people confused

Pudsey Bear

Forum Member
About time, but will the Aholes act positively to other applicants, Not holding my breath, I was on SBMCC at the time of my build 2011 and there was a covering letter for us to use I think any who used it got Motor caravan on the V5, it's gone up the spout since then.

wildebus

Forum Member
About time, but will the Aholes act positively to other applicants, Not holding my breath, I was on SBMCC at the time of my build 2011 and there was a covering letter for us to use I think any who used it got Motor caravan on the V5, it's gone up the spout since then.
One of the problems prior to the DVLA rejecting nearly every application was the DVLA accepting nearly every application and there are loads of "Motor Caravans" out there which are nothing of the sort. But instead of sorting out the basics when evaluating, they just rejected out of hand just about anything, including perfect conversions.

Hopefully any rejections will be accompanied by actual reasons rather than a blanket refusal and pointless suggestions about what to do before resubmission.

Millie Master

Forum Member
Personally I had no problems at all with the DVLA, but I have followed a great many stories about people who have been experiencing a total brick wall of DVLA ineptitude allied also to an almost blanket zero interest by their staff!!

Just like it has happened within the insurance industry where some brokers have a real commercial interest in doing the right job for their clients, surely shouldn't the DVLA have a small department who actually know what they are doing when it comes to self build vans and channel all applications through to them?

Pudsey Bear

Forum Member
Having looked at some of these "motor caravans" on the different forums and tried to be objective and look at them as if from a person in the street trying to give the police a description after a drive-off, van with windows would seem pretty accurate to me, as from the outside that is what they look like, adding graphics (I didn't) would definitely help identification, I'm not sure adding an awning would help (I didn't like them so didn't) the interior is one side of the requirements, but the exterior is what the general public sees and is what DVLA has to consider.

Pudsey Bear

Forum Member
Not sure that's problem, almost all PVC will have barn doors, lift up ones would look and perform better but you rarely see them as more expensive, and all the mainstream converters have barn doors.

trevskoda

Forum Member
I think all conversions should be subject to an engineers report on the build, many like my van when i bought it was dangerous as the idiot who built it first time round should have been shot, yet it came with motorcaravan on the l book, a total strip out was required by me and a new start from top to bottom.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)