Chinese diesel ducting

Sprinter 1 cup

Forum Member
Long wheel base van . Ive fitted heater 70 mm output pipe, behind drivers seat and running 65mm duct pipe all the way round van to sliding door. With 3 outlets and 4 slot vents over 14meters long.
Can it work with 14 m pipe
1620251693859-1930645711.jpg
1620251724257474773469.jpg
1620251772153-1171058887.jpg

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
You'll need to balance the flow. Some kind of adjustable restriction.
This is why I used 90mm in Betty for main duct and branched of with 60mm that still may need restricting.

I guess your going down one side and up the other?

Sprinter 1 cup

Forum Member
Yes like u shape! . over weekend I had pipe down to back door on drivers side and on the end closed vent as the vents spins . Which when the end of pipe vent was closed it in creased air volume in to front area. I Would like pipe to face into cab area as passengers seat Floor and feet area are still cold spots.
My thinking is as the van is diesel and takes over 15 mins for engine to warm up, end of pipe vent open the others closed would /could warm cab area when 0 degrees and frozen windscreen. Can defrost windscreen when used as commuter car from remote that came with it. In mornings. Just by closing the other two vents ?.
@ £15 A meter or £65 for 10 meter lenth . Or £35 for 5m free delivery.
I will take photos today
20210503_082430.jpg

mistericeman

Forum Member
Possibly....

However You might need to be careful they don't draw the air through the heater and over cool it.

The correct way would be to size the ductwork correctly for the maximum run the manufacturers specify.

eberspacher details on here...

https://www.pfjones.co.uk › ...PDF
Fitting Instructions - PF Jones

Bear in mind corrugated/ribbed ducting/bends/fittings all act as restrictions to the airflow.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Possibly....

However You might need to be careful they don't draw the air through the heater and over cool it.

The correct way would be to size the ductwork correctly for the maximum run the manufacturers specify.

eberspacher details on here...

https://www.pfjones.co.uk › ...PDF
Fitting Instructions - PF Jones

Bear in mind corrugated/ribbed ducting/bends/fittings all act as restrictions to the airflow.
Weirdly the corrugated tube is supposed to improve air flow by making the air stick to the wall. It's also supposed to reduce simultaneous reverse flow on the wall, but that is a whole other sad story. (excuse the pun please)

mistericeman

Forum Member
Weirdly the corrugated tube is supposed to improve air flow by making the air stick to the wall. It's also supposed to reduce simultaneous reverse flow on the wall, but that is a whole other sad story. (excuse the pun please)

Nearly 30 years of aircon ductwork....

Flexible (ribbed/corrugated) ducting kills airflow

that's why in ducting installs most of it is in solid/smooth unless unavoidable or terminations.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Nearly 30 years of aircon ductwork....

Flexible (ribbed/corrugated) ducting kills airflow

that's why in ducting installs most of it is in solid/smooth unless unavoidable or terminations.
Oh well I waisted my time as a cylinder-head development engineer. They'd better give their awards back lol

mistericeman

Forum Member
Oh well I waisted my time as a cylinder-head development engineer. They'd better give their awards back lol

Will all due respect....
There's a world of difference between cylinder heads and ducting....
As I'm sure you are well aware...

Even with my tiny knowledge of porting/tuning 2 stroke 50ccs...
I know that smoothest doesn't always provide the best flow/power....

Sprinter 1 cup

Forum Member
Will all due respect....
There's a world of difference between cylinder heads and ducting....
As I'm sure you are well aware...

Even with my tiny knowledge of porting/tuning 2 stroke 50ccs...
I know that smoothest doesn't always provide the best flow/power....
Hi what is the loss over 14m x 65mm pipe compared to 5 m and is it better to have long runs befor first vent .? I trying to have 4 vents with gates open or closed.
Screenshot_2021-05-08-11-42-13.png

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Have you considered just having a short run just down one side?
As it’s a narrow van the air should propagate to the other side.

On the Betty build I have a similar air circuit to you, but with more torturous bends. The ducting is also dual purpose.
In the air eberspacher mode I’m not convinced it will make it all the way around, so I’m “teeing” off of it along the first straight length. Having additional fan heaters at the other end won’t help. These heaters are water heated and one will blow towards the eberspacher and possibly though it. This heating will be used for travelling.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)