Chassis cab swap

GriffD

Forum Member
I currently have a 91 Talbot Swift Kontiki 650 and have been thinking about swapping the body onto a fresher chassis cab. Has anyone come across this being done before. Any info greatly appreciated.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
I currently have a 91 Talbot Swift Kontiki 650 and have been thinking about swapping the body onto a fresher chassis cab. Has anyone come across this being done before. Any info greatly appreciated.
Lots of pictures please, going to be a big job I expect.

Silver sprinter

Forum Member
Do you have the use of a building to do it. And the skills to do it. I certainly don't have them. So it's not a job I would be prepared to take on. A wish you all the best if you decide to do it.

GriffD

Forum Member
Had a look underneath this the weekend. The Kontiki is built on an Alko chassis which is bolted to the Talbot cab. Will need to unbolt and support the Alko chassis and living quarters then remove and refit the mounting bracket to the new cab and then mate the two together. Plenty of measuring and comparing going on at the moment looks like a Renault Traffic/Fiat Ducato 3/Citroen Relay would suit best. Hoping to go for something 09 / 10. Once I get started I’ll keep ye posted!!

wildebus

Forum Member
If you can find a chassis cab of the right track and wheelbase, it should therotetically be very doable I would have thought. Or are you planning on taking the entire rear (body and alko chassis) and connecting it to a new cab front (bit like a cut and shut in a way?)

I would really check hard if the existing motorhome body is solid enough to warrant it. They are typically not the most robust things and once removed from the existing chassis if that were the plan could become extremely wobbly! An transplant of the interior into something like a low-loader luton could be an interesting option? give you the opportunity to rejig and refresh anything.

Intriging project :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)