Changing older high miles van to motorcaravan

Woodster

Hi, my renault master is an R reg with 157,000 on the clock. Will the age and high mileage effect the dvla's decision to change the van to a motorcaravan?

plum loco

Someone who knows for sure will be along soon.I dont think they change them anymore.it will always be a van.

exwindsurfer

Forum Member
Its not the milage they intrested in .Its the spec thats needed to make it a motor caravan . I had mine changed last year and its got 105000 on the clock .

n brown

Forum Member
mileage isn't a factor,it's the fitting out and general appearance.mine had about 160.000 on it when changed

Steve121

V5C change to Motor Caravan

Just over a year ago I bought a high mileage 1998 ex-MoD Land Rover XD130 Pulse Ambulance. After getting it registered with the DVLA (they decided to call it an Estate Car!) I spent the next several months converting it to a Motor Caravan. The only external changes I've made are new tyres of a slightly larger size and moved the spare wheel from roof to bonnet. It still has the military stickers and Red Crosses, although the latter are concealed under hinged panels during normal use. It's still painted NATO green and the right-hand side has the word AMBULANCE in vinyl lettering.

Just before Christmas I sent my V5C to the DVLA requesting them to change the body type. I included several photos (I didn't include one of the right-hand side), receipts for the main items, a letter detailing the conversion process and an Engineer's Report. Early January this year I got a new V5C with body type changed to Motor Caravan.

Provided you meet the DVLA's minimum requirements you should not have any difficulty in registering a van as a Motor Caravan unless it's over 3.5 tonnes. It is no longer a requirement for the vehicle to 'have the external appearance of a motor caravan'.

landyrubbertramp

Just over a year ago I bought a high mileage 1998 ex-MoD Land Rover XD130 Pulse Ambulance. After getting it registered with the DVLA (they decided to call it an Estate Car!) I spent the next several months converting it to a Motor Caravan. The only external changes I've made are new tyres of a slightly larger size and moved the spare wheel from roof to bonnet. It still has the military stickers and Red Crosses, although the latter are concealed under hinged panels during normal use. It's still painted NATO green and the right-hand side has the word AMBULANCE in vinyl lettering.

Just before Christmas I sent my V5C to the DVLA requesting them to change the body type. I included several photos (I didn't include one of the right-hand side), receipts for the main items, a letter detailing the conversion process and an Engineer's Report. Early January this year I got a new V5C with body type changed to Motor Caravan.

Provided you meet the DVLA's minimum requirements you should not have any difficulty in registering a van as a Motor Caravan unless it's over 3.5 tonnes. It is no longer a requirement for the vehicle to 'have the external appearance of a motor caravan'.

hi steve thanks for this post so in theory a panel van in stealth would be ok to trg with dvla as motorcaravan , can you confirm more of this many thanks lee

Steve121

hi steve thanks for this post so in theory a panel van in stealth would be ok to trg with dvla as motorcaravan , can you confirm more of this many thanks lee

You shouldn't have any problem getting the V5C changed, provided it has the following permanent features in the habitation area

• Seats
  • Table, which must be capable of being mounted directly to the vehicle floor and/or side wall
  • Bed, at least 6' long
  • Permanently mounted cooker with at least 2 rings fuelled by gas, or microwave powered by vehicle's electrics
  • Storage facilty
It is still a bit of a lottery though, as some DVLA employees haven't read the current requirements. As a result, some applications are rejected because the vehicle 'doesn't have the external appearance of a Motor Caravan'. If this happens, you appeal, and eventually you should get the V5C changed.

I suggest you join the SBMCC which has lots of useful info, and of course negotiated discounts for members.

Steve

steveuk0

the rear needs to have one window otherwise it can look like a van, campervanlife has the rules required for dvla, ive just applied this week

dr dave

really !

i feel r****
my legs are b****
the beach was s****
i know a girl called m****
yanks call sweets c****
Oh yes how strange try it.

Steve121

the rear needs to have one window otherwise it can look like a van, campervanlife has the rules required for dvla, ive just applied this week

No rear window required by DVLA, but must have at least one side window.

Risky

Could also try putting a cycle rack on the back, just the strap on type. Bodge a roof rack on and put some goodies in it, Grab a few bits of sticky back easy removable stickers and slap them on....even take a "blacked out window" and fix to side and photograph with a slight blur.
In my opinion it's just a bit of paperwork and a few silly hoops/boxes to tick.
If the inside living area has all the things required then where is the problem? Just adding a few extra "camper van" things may be the difference between getting it through 1st time or not.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)