SHOULD WE CHANGE THE WEBSITE NAME TO "DIY VANLIFE"

• YES

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • NO

Votes: 10 66.7%

• Total voters

Admin

Administrator
At the start of the pandemic, I looked at changing the name of this website as I thought the word "Motorhome" may put a lot of people from joining. I settled on "DIY Vanlife", and I went ahead and trademarked the new and secured the domain names.

My question for our members is would you be happy with the name change to promote new members and a busier forum?

mistericeman

Forum Member
I'm happy either way....
To be honest I think most folks from here spend a lot of their time on wild camping.
And only usually post on here as a sort of back up.

Sprinter 1 cup

Forum Member
In two years what has been the guest count for this side and what link had the most hits from freebees ?

Would diy vanlife be any better for us. Its all about advertising links.

What ever the name, the pond is only so big.. as a second site.
As a second site to moterhomer it works I think. But it needs more of something ?

there's no live stream section. Thats where the money is ,
or just get someone to read out our posts ! Lol ..... then do them in English as they are trying to say this in post
You could use bi linguistic or granddads / mums or pro nouns to voice. Comes to mind Dave gorman

You ask a y t user ! would you find this site ?. Then the answer would be no. I think ? I came in from wildcammping.co.uk after finding rogers knowlege help usefull . Thanks again roger and Chrisi

Pudsey Bear

Forum Member
At the start of the pandemic, I looked at changing the name of this website as I thought the word "Motorhome" may put a lot of people from joining. I settled on "DIY Vanlife", and I went ahead and trademarked the new and secured the domain names.

My question for our members is would you be happy with the name change to promote new members and a busier forum?
There are a few sites and YouTube channels with Vanlife in the title, most a bit amateurish, this is very professional. I think DIY would be better but Jim has that, but this is so descriptive I'd leave well enough alone Phil it does what it say on the "tin".

You could have the domain active and just have it come here too I think, but that is deffo more in your field.

Last edited:

Squiffy

Forum Member

Good for me, doesn't matter what the name is really but if it does promote further interest then go for it. Phil 😁

Millie Master

Forum Member
It surely is one of those between a rock and a hard place decisions for you to make Phil.

Personally speaking, I don't actually like your proposed new name and by the same token I never really liked Motorhome Builder, but of the two and as this group is known by that name, then in some ways I would leave well alone.

However, you of course know the sites hit rate and joining rate of new members.

Phil

MarkJ

Forum Member
To be honest I think most folks from here spend a lot of their time on wild camping.
And only usually post on here as a sort of back up.
Interesting. I'm not a fan of the wildcamping site but do check regularly on here! Just goes to show.

We call our self build "the van" or "the camper" and tend to think of motorhomes as the commercial jobbies, so I'd think something other than 'motorhome builder' would be fine. But there are so many 'vanlifes' out there, jumping on the bandwagon, I wouldn't think that distinctive enough, personally.

Dinosawus

Forum Member
Personally I use this site to share and learn about van building and I dont relate to vanlife as I dont live in a van and hopefully never will unless Truss stays in power for a decade, so I much prefer motorhomebuilder although campervanbuilder would also be a good name.

Millie Master

Forum Member
@ Admin, you might have seen SquirrelCook putting up a comment on his "Violating a Princess" post, where he suggests that his large bus conversion is most definitely a Motorhome and definitely not a van.

As this is the case and as there are one hell of a lot of people converting similar types and sizes of vehicles, if you are going to rename our site Phil, why not change the name to "Camper Van & Motorhome Builder" if of course that name is available?

Phil

wildebus

Forum Member
You can of course have multiple names going to the same place, so the site could be "Motorhomebuilder.com" but "vanbuilder.com", "Campervanbuilder.com", etc could all come here.
I have a forum that I started a long time back called "RAV4 Drivers Club" for (have a guess?). Nowadays, I think most members of that Forum (including myself) don't have a RAV4 but other vehicles. I was thinking - and polled the membership - about renaming it to something like "SUV Drivers Club" but people didn't really care that the title no longer matched the car they had. What's in a name!

Having said that, I don't like "diy vanlife" as a name for a forum unless the idea is to change the purpose and direction of it.

trevskoda

Forum Member
Camper constructor would be best as it neither van bus truck, but happy as is, just think it requires more plugging on the net, sometimes sites are not easy found.

Reactions: DnK

Millie Master

Forum Member
Camper constructor would be best as it neither van bus truck, but happy as is, just think it requires more plugging on the net, sometimes sites are not easy found.

I oh so agree with you Trev., for my sins, every single day I share a link to this site on at least 1 FaceBook self building groups and quite often on several as Chris the former member edina knows only too well.

Pudsey Bear

Forum Member
I think Motorhomebuilder says it all, campers are pretty much well taken care of so why jump into a busy arena, Motorhomes are bigger and have more complications so you need somewhere easy to find help with the various bits and pieces, I wouldn't even look at a camper build forum as it's not what I would be building.

Costers

Forum Member
If you felt that the new name would give you a bigger market penetration then go for it. I don’t think anyone here would stop following because it didn’t say motorhome.

stirlingb

Forum Member
I’m thinking that changing the name will not lose you existing members and may well attract a lot more that are attracted to the ‘vanlife’ bit

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)