Building a back box

Jays

Hi All
Has any one built a camper on the back of a flat bed?
After the subframe and flexible fixing.
I was thinking of manufacturing the walls and roof.
First thought timber frame insulation ply internal and external, plus external aluminium checker plate.

Second thought ply, solid insulation, ply, glued and clamped, then checker plate external, thus doing away with the internal thermal bridgeing.

Third thought either of the first 2, then fibreglass the two surfaces thus making a sealed internal and external layers gluing on the checker plate.
Internally finish with ?
With the roof thoughts are making a water collection area , into a general use tank ( not drinking unless boiled emergency resource)
Issues with contamination?
So these are just my thoughts any comments and discussion welcomed.

For a base viecle looking at a FUSO canter?

Thanks
John

fifthwheel

I always think a box body either made or adapted always looks just what it is and can look a mess.
To make a nice looking conversion a front and rear fibre glass panel I think is needed.
Also wheel arches side skirts and cab "ears" finish the job. Lockers can be fitted to the side skirts easily.
Some members will remember the trailer that Peter made (Lister diesel) out of new ali extruded section, all can be bought from Service Metals.
The trailer was made very well but with respect I wouldnt want to roll up to a campsite with a motorhome looking like I had just delivered to Tesco.
I had a lot of time for Peter and am not having a pop at him or his work but was using his trailer as an example. http://www.marineindustrialmouldings.co.uk/fibreglass-horsebox

Jays

It’s not about the cost, well maybe!
If we can self build it, then that adds another dimension to our enjoyment.
The reason for the checker plate, it will get damaged/ scratched and we think this will be robust and replaceable.
Had a thought to spray it then sand back raises and lacquer the finished surface.
All this is just on the virtual drawing board.
We converted a fiat ducato 11 years ago that we are still very happy with.

The GRP mouldings from Preston look great and they are certainly worth a visit so thank for the link.
We like different but also don’t want to be too visible.

fifthwheel

The reason for the checker plate, it will get damaged/ scratched and we think this will be robust and replaceable.
Had a thought to spray it then sand back raises and lacquer the finished surface.

The GRP mouldings from Preston look great and they are certainly worth a visit so thank for the link.

I think the Preston man makes good stuff I've not seen it by the way but I found him difficult to talk to on the phone. I have had this idea to build a 7.5ton van for years, good luck with it.

trevskoda

Forum Member
You can buy f/glass panels and frame up to requirements, though alloy on box alloy frame using rivets is light and easy, thats how my bus is built,a checker alloy floor to start on rather than wood which is old hat these days.
van respray.jpg
van respray.jpg

wildebus

Forum Member
Hi All
Has any one built a camper on the back of a flat bed?
After the subframe and flexible fixing.
I was thinking of manufacturing the walls and roof.
First thought timber frame insulation ply internal and external, plus external aluminium checker plate.

Second thought ply, solid insulation, ply, glued and clamped, then checker plate external, thus doing away with the internal thermal bridgeing.

Third thought either of the first 2, then fibreglass the two surfaces thus making a sealed internal and external layers gluing on the checker plate.
Internally finish with ?
With the roof thoughts are making a water collection area , into a general use tank ( not drinking unless boiled emergency resource)
Issues with contamination?
So these are just my thoughts any comments and discussion welcomed.

For a base viecle looking at a FUSO canter?

Thanks
John
I would suggest you get this book - https://amzn.to/2QDWAWS
It is full of good tips and I think covers just what you want to know. I bought this a couple of years for one of my pipe-dreams and even if just reading and not doing, it is enjoyable to run through.

This is a example page that covers your area of interest
91xN0pdhlLL.jpg

Last edited:

RV2MAX

Forum Member
There are quite a lot of builds for ideas on Youtube . I would say before you start , you very much need to think of the usage environment of the finished vehicle . Construction similar to modern motorhomes is very much limited to a tarmac environment , although that's getting rougher it seems :) I spent 15 years living in Australia , and that sorts out what is considered rugged build . I tend to overbuild , and its more down to function rather than Form, if going to extreme , having a tight weight limit can make things difficult . If thinking canter , they can be pretty rough ride in cab from my experience . If going commercial base very much recommend big try before you buy .

trevskoda

Forum Member
Plenty of ex library buses out there to start work on at very low money,i seen a 27 ft unit on flebay with 34thu miles on clock for £4.700 and about 12 years old.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)