Build your own Lithium Battery ?

RAW

Forum Member
Obviously this is based in the USA and I have not researched yet what sort of batteries you can get in the UK or may be available.
Tesla recently announced some innovations in cell manufacture which are going to make the Lithium batteries even better than they are now. 20% more power in a similar size cell is what they have managed.
Just sharing this YouTube Battery Build as the chap doing it takes you through how he has made the 120AH 12V Battery from start to finish
This is something I would like to have a go at one day. Let me know what you think, or if anyone has built a battery like this ?

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
5 seconds in and I decided I'm not doing 40 minutes of that.
I priced up making my own a year or so ago. I think the break even point was about six batteries. The one thing seldom never priced in these things is the cost of their labour. Most work for free. If you want to work for free, call me!

Millie Master

Forum Member
I fell asleep when trying to watch that American dribble............ To be honest I fall asleep when trying to watch so many self interest, self promoting YouTube crap!

Just like at home where I use very little electricity, when we are away in 'Millie' we simply don't use much of the stuff, so for me a couple of large gel batteries and our solar panel keeps us totally self sufficient in the summer months, so why on the earth would I ever think of going the hyper expensive lithium battery route?

Phil

• Funny
Reactions: RAW

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
I estimate from manufacturer to retailer there is a 50 - 100% mark up. Once tooled up, it's not that hard to do. The daft thing was my calculations showed that you only need half the volume of a retail battery. Then the penny dropped. They have double the capacity of cells required. Then only take 50% from them, but telling you it was 100% That way if you put the worst quality cells in you can buy, it will have a long life and perform as claimed.

wildebus

Forum Member
I fell asleep when trying to watch that American dribble............ To be honest I fall asleep when trying to watch so many self interest, self promoting YouTube crap!

Just like at home where I use very little electricity, when we are away in 'Millie' we simply don't use much of the stuff, so for me a couple of large gel batteries and our solar panel keeps us totally self sufficient in the summer months, so why on the earth would I ever think of going the hyper expensive lithium battery route?

Phil
Phil, if you like to watch some YouTube stuff but have trouble finding stuff that is actually interesting to watch, may I suggest the following couple of examples ...

RV with Tito.
US Channel with Brian, who has a "C Class" (so much like our Custom bodied Motorhomes) and has done lots of stuff to it in the 10+ years he has had it - but sensible, improvement type of things. (the kind of things I would aim to do with my Motorhome).
To me, he comes across as a nice, unassuming and competent guy (and yes, he is American!) who likes to share how to do things - and he actually does them in a really good way, not botching them. One of my favourite Channels on the subject without a doubt.

David Bott with 'OutsideOurBubble'
David is a really funny guy. Lives in a massive A-Class and is massively into technology (I think he retired after setting up and then selling a very big and popular techie AV based website?). I think many of his videos are very specific, so you would either find the topic useful or boring and little inbetween, but he is entertaining and fun to watch so I end up watching them in the same way you may watch a TV show just because you like the presenter.

There were a few others that I used to enjoy but as they got popular, they became too much going down the 'influencer' route :(

Phantom

Forum Member
I was immediatly just distracted by the amount of same same hammers he has on his tool wall, just why would anyone? So couldn't watch!

wildebus

Forum Member
Well I just watched the video and unlike it seems everyone else, I found it interesting throughout.

Millie Master

Forum Member
Well I just watched the video and unlike it seems everyone else, I found it interesting throughout.
I wouldn't have expected anything else from you Dave as you are after all an electrical geek and I say that in the nicest possible way as you design and build for the maximum which is why your knowledge is so valuable on here

Phil

wildebus

Forum Member
I wouldn't have expected anything else from you Dave as you are after all an electrical geek and I say that in the nicest possible way as you design and build for the maximum which is why your knowledge is so valuable on here

Phil
The downside for me on this kind of videos is people using cool tools. It can get expensive!
Depending how far you watched into the video, you will get the comment I am about to make about wanting one of those desktop mini spot-welders! This guy was the first one I have seen using a 'proficient' way to connect the cells (I wasn't overly keen on what seemed to be his excessive use of tape though)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)