budget build

campervanannie

Forum Member
Bladdy el Mr B 3 posts and feathers ruffled already �� only on WC��
Tis a thing of beauty Mr B and will only get better in your capable hands with or without its mot ��

time4t

Ah Mr Brown, we wait with bated breath, for you to reveal your next masterpiece.!
If only I had your time & talents!!

As for the ball joints, well, if the people that design the things, had the inteligence to simply realise, that the owners & motor vehicle examiners, need to know about the different parameters involved with their design. Then we might be able to avoid said confusion in the future.
After all it doesn't take a genius to workout that a note in the owners manuall, could explain the design & it's implications for the MOT!!

Oh by the way, the VW sharan has floating upper shock/McFearson strut mounts that some MOT testers fail for a similar reason.

ATVB, Phill

Last edited by a moderator:

Siimplyloco

Bladdy el Mr B 3 posts and feathers ruffled already �� only on WC��
Tis a thing of beauty Mr B and will only get better in your capable hands with or without its mot ��

Feathers ruffled? Not down to me I hope: I was using humour that perhaps only Nigel appreciates!
John

n brown

Forum Member
Barrie- i'm going as fast as i can, i'm not young and sprightly like you !

as for the ball joints, i did one on the last van- real mare of a job ! had to cut the old wishbone off a bit at a time , i'll pay a mechanic if another needs doing !

janner

nice one,i fitout my own vans too,i charge up my powertools and head for somewhere nice to do it,make the most of the weather,all the best.jan

Asterix

The more I think about it,and the more I see threads like this makes me want to have a go at a self build,currently working on acquiring funds but aiming to buy something next year. I'll watch this thread with interest,all hints and tips gratefully received.☺

oldish hippy

Forum Member
going to have to go and see mr b and crack the whip and stop mrs b giving him t breaks mr b got a camper in the garden that do me

wildebus

Forum Member
Sorry for being abstruse. See my recent thread here on Sprinters:

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums...rinter-incorrect-mot-failure-ball-joints.html
Ah... the MOT rules, not the forum rules :)

Yes, MOT testers can be most annoying when they make up their own policies!
Took the Swift (Suzuki, not MH version) in for an MOT and it failed on the front discs being so bad they were liable to fall apart, plus two brake pipes corroded and also two hoses as an advisory.
Bit surprised on the brake discs as I had fitted brand new ones a year earlier (and under 1,500 miles) :ninja:
Took it to my local garage for evaluation and they agreed it was a nonsense. Did another MOT for me and the previous advisories were not present, the corroded failed pipes was surface rust that some emery paper proved and the soon-imploding brake discs were flagged as an advisory with minor pitting.
(So failed MOT and new MOT on same vehicle the next week, with no work done inbetween other then a wipe of sandpaper on a brake pipe to check rust)

Beemer

Oh..I so want to do one.. :) ... but I don't think I would get permission from HQ. We already have a motorhome so cannot justify another van in the garden.
'er indoors is already moaning that she cannot see the garden because of the "big white shed" and cars (currently 3) blocking the view.

n brown

Forum Member
got a bit more done ,insulation finished apart from doors, T&G ceiling up, 2 coats of varnish , walls panelled and Mrs B 's nearly finished the discovery coat, cut the headlining down to use most space,will fit a shelf and door to that, and cut in and fitted the final window. View attachment 43257View attachment 43256View attachment 43258
my heartfelt thanks go to whoever invented the self-drilling screw, the impact screwdriver, the plunge saw and the router- they make it a doddle !

StreetSleeper

Forum Member
Hello Nigel,
Looking good. Hope Robmac is looking at this; it may inspire him to start on his next project.

Rae & Ann

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)