Brakes on Sevel vans

Squiffy

Forum Member
On my return from a weekend camping trip last week and after 3280 miles on the continent last month I clocked up exactly 60.000 miles on the van from new, and on braking the "Check brake pads" warning showed up on the dash several times and so made a mental note to have a look during the week.

The last time I changed the front and rear pads was exactly on 30.000 miles, the fronts at that time were close to metal and the backs were about half worn but I decided to fit new to both front and rear.

On inspecting the fronts they again were almost down to the metal infact the sensors had actually worn away, so I'll have to remember that when the check brake pads warning comes up again it means it as there is obviously very little leeway given. The back pads were still in good shape so I left them be.

The moral of this post is if you have a Sevel van then if your close to 30.000 or 60.000 or any multiple of 30.000 then best check your pads, admittedly my van weighes in at 3606kg so maybe a bit heavier than most but still it does seem that the front pads on these vans are needed to be changed at 30.000 mile intervals. Phil

Millie Master

Forum Member
Phil;

I have always checked the brakes on all my vehicles at least on an annual basis and changed the pads, shoes and even discs when there is only approx. 25% of compound remaining.

I also change the brake fluid at far more frequent intervals than the instructions in the workshop manuals.

Over very many years I have only ever bought any brake requirements for the truly excellent EBC Brakes whose service and quality of product can't be faulted. https://www.ebcbrakes.com/

Phil

Squiffy

Forum Member
Phil;

I have always checked the brakes on all my vehicles at least on an annual basis and changed the pads, shoes and even discs when there is only approx. 25% of compound remaining.

I also change the brake fluid at far more frequent intervals than the instructions in the workshop manuals.

Over very many years I have only ever bought any brake requirements for the truly excellent EBC Brakes whose service and quality of product can't be faulted. https://www.ebcbrakes.com/

Phil
I agree Phil that a yearly check is in order if only to check that the calipers/cylinders have not seized up, but to say the truth after years in the trade I've become a little lazy in so much that I tend to now leave things until they are broken so as to speak, I know it's not the best way to be.
Though with modern manufacturing things in the motor trade are not what they used to be i.e. ball joints, brakes, suspension components and indeed bodywork and engines themselves last far longer than of olden times, when I say olden times I mean pre 1990's. I note that the government are even talking of scrapping the yearly MoT though nothing seems to have been mentioned about it lately. 🙄 Phil

P.s. EBC used to be my go for too.

Squiffy

Forum Member
I'd go to dot 5 but the system needs to be dry then it doesn't need to be changed at all as it isn't hygroscopic.
Hi Pudsey, yes I changed my brake fluid about 4 years ago just before we embarked on a trip to Italy through the Alps, I remember thinking I dont want brake fade or failure going over the Furka
pass and believe me if you haven't been over that pass it is indeed a Furka. Phil

trevskoda

Forum Member
I agree Phil that a yearly check is in order if only to check that the calipers/cylinders have not seized up, but to say the truth after years in the trade I've become a little lazy in so much that I tend to now leave things until they are broken so as to speak, I know it's not the best way to be.
Though with modern manufacturing things in the motor trade are not what they used to be i.e. ball joints, brakes, suspension components and indeed bodywork and engines themselves last far longer than of olden times, when I say olden times I mean pre 1990's. I note that the government are even talking of scrapping the yearly MoT though nothing seems to have been mentioned about it lately. 🙄 Phil

P.s. EBC used to be my go for too.
Not sure about that, skoda alloy engine decended from ninteen fifties lasts forever if looked after, ford new wet belt fiesta engine might get you round the block on a good day.😁

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:10)