Bit of Custom Manufactiring

listerdiesel

Been fairly busy with bits and pieces, the Bullfinch external LPG point came this morning, and I've been chopping up a sizeable chunk of nylon to make the adaptor for the extraction fan in the bathroom.

Industry being what is is, there's little standardisation between parts that have the same function, so the 12V extraction fan has 88mm or 98mm over its body, the mushroom vent takes 85mm pipe. You couldn't make it up!

There is enough roof void space to use a sleeve that can be double-diameter so it fits both articles.

So I started with a 175mm long chunk of cast nylon, 110mm diameter. I put it on the Rapidor hacksaw to cut it down, but it was a right so and so to cut, I had to keep feeding lubricant to it or it would overheat and melt.

VentAdaptor7.jpg

VentAdaptor6.jpg

RoofVent11.jpg

RoofVent10.jpg

Peter

Last edited by a moderator:

Siimplyloco

Very nice, but have you heard of duck tape???

Your response made me laugh out loud!
I've got a similar size lathe, and I would have done exactly the same thing if I'd had a large chunk of cast nylon hanging about! If, that is...
Nice job. :dog:
John

listerdiesel

Very nice, but have you heard of duck tape???

Sorry, the roll of Duct Tape is firmly in the emergency toolbox and rarely makes an appearance :lol-053:

Useful for temporarily holding things, but a bathroom vent is not one of them

Peter

listerdiesel

Your response made me laugh out loud!
I've got a similar size lathe, and I would have done exactly the same thing if I'd had a large chunk of cast nylon hanging about! If, that is...
Nice job. :dog:
John

I got the nylon from fleabay, Watford Plastics.

Peter

outtolunch

Sorry, the roll of Duct Tape is firmly in the emergency toolbox and rarely makes an appearance :lol-053:

Useful for temporarily holding things, but a bathroom vent is not one of them

Peter

exactly the duct tape is just a temporary fixing to hold it in place whilst the silicone sealant sets :cool:

invalid

I’ve got a lathe as well, but unfortunately my other half has heard of duck tape, and won’t now let me spend as much time in my workshop as I used to. Nice job though, so don’t tell her indoors about duck tape.:sad:

wineciccio

must admit that is very professional, perhaps you should go into business, motorhome/campers repair shop comes to mind:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

listerdiesel

must admit that is very professional, perhaps you should go into business, motorhome/campers repair shop comes to mind:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

By the time you factor in the time & material cost plus postage, very few consumers would look at it.

Joe Bloggs in the street wants to pay £20 or so, that wouldn't even cover the material.

This is where it goes:

varioroof70.jpg

The mushroom vent base is in the roof already.

Peter

listerdiesel

Spent a couple of hours today getting the vent fan in place and the two lights that go into the bathroom fitted and wiring brought out.

As the ceiling cladding sections are hollow, you cannot rely on screws to hold things in place, so I cut strips of foamed PVC board to go inside the ceiling cladding and screw into that.

I had to move the hole over a bit and widen it to take the bigger diameter of the adaptor. I use a Dremel clone with an HSS cutter of about 8mm diameter and not too fast. It creates a storm of plastic particles but eats through the plastic very easily.

VarioInterior15.jpg

VarioInterior19.jpg

VarioInterior16.jpg

VarioInterior17.jpg

VarioInterior18.jpg

Quick bit of wiring and a test to check all was working OK. The fan is noisy like an extraction fan, but no blade whine which I find more annoying than the airflow noise.

The lights are standard flourescents converted to LED's.

Peter

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)