Bike ride

Squiffy

Forum Member
Wife said she had to deliver some paperwork this morning so I suggested I took her on the Bonneville, was only 10 miles there, so off we went and ended up doing 55 miles round the country roads in the Vale of Glamorgan, beautiful, warm sun, quiet roads had a great ride out for the first time in 4 months 😁Phil

StreetSleeper

Forum Member
Can't wait to get out on my A10

1591737146255.png

Rae

Nabsim

Forum Member
I think in all the years I rode, if it was a nice day, I always wanted to keep going :)

Was only when it was cold and wet I was content with minimal ride, even in the snow on the outfits you didn’t want to go in lol

Squiffy

Forum Member
Lovely originals, bikes of my youth, solid thumpers, you knew you were riding a British motorcycle in those days not like the mobile sewing machines of today, 40 year olds think that Honda and the likes of Yamaha's are classic bikes but have never in the main ridden a real oiler like a true classic 🤗. Phil

Nabsim

Forum Member
I didn’t actually get my first bike until early 70’s so came at it a bit late. My mates had British bikes but I started with Jap 2 strokes and loved them. My RD200 could outperform my mates 2 year old 750 Bonny so to there was no competition. If I had come back from the 78 TT in one piece though I was getting one of the last brand new Tritons in cream and maroon.
Brit to Jap it like everywhere v Harley. 😂😂😂

Squiffy

Forum Member
It's not the speed that counts Nabsim, it's the feel of the thumping long stroke 4stroke be it single or twin that was the master of the early British bikes. 😜. Phil

P.s. And the constant drop of oil from various areas on the engines, it was all part of the knowledge

Nabsim

Forum Member
Ha ha yes I purposely didn’t mention the oil leaks Phil 😂
The Japs took was it the 500cc Triumph twin engine and copied it with horizontally split crank cases and much finer tolerances and it came out first I think as the XS500. Wonderful reliable machine and it didn’t leak lol
I did move to 4 strokes and really loved triples had a triple 2 stroke and at least 3 triple 4 strokes. Had lots of mates with Brit stuff and Harley’s and it was always just banter 😂
I had a favourite saying about sooner rather worms than ridea Honda as my mate had a 750 Phil Read replica, almost came to grief in a boozer on the island as a huge bruiser behind me heard it and he was resplendent in Honda leathers lol

StreetSleeper

Forum Member
My next project BSA A65 engine in a BSA plunger frame
1592054303121.png

This is a mock up to see how the A65 engine will fit in the A10 frame. If all my measurements are correct the engine should just drop in with some modification to the engine mounts: the biggest problem is getting the gearbox sprocket in exactly the same position as the original. Because the plungers do not work on the same arc as a swinging arm the chain can become very tight or very loose if the sprocket is not in the right place.
The above picture was achieved by getting photos of two motorcycles that were the same size and cutting the engine and exhaust pipes out of one and overlaying the original. As you can see even the exhausts line up not too bad. The only problem I can foresee will be fitting the carburrettor , I would prefer to use a single carb head but I think the frame tube might be in the way. Simple enough to overcome this problem I will use a twin carb head and that will be the problem solved.

Rae

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)