Bedding

AlanD

If I make two beds length ways, how easy is it to get mattresses made and covered or should I make the beds to suit a standard mattress size?

Millie Master

Forum Member
If I make two beds length ways, how easy is it to get mattresses made and covered or should I make the beds to suit a standard mattress size?

Hello AlanD and welcome.

When you say you are making two length wise beds, are you intending to keep them as 2 separate beds or are you wanting to make them up into one large double bed?

If you are intending to have 2 lengthwise seats that double up as single beds then it isn't very likely that you will be able to find any standard width mattress that isn't far too wide as such that forces you down the route to buy some foam and to make or have some covers made to fit. This isn't a hard thing to do as you can buy foam from numerous places on the internet and furthermore, there are quite a lot of these places that also offer a covering service.

The problem I believe you will have is that if you have 2 x lengthwise beds, most people will want to use them also as seats, as such, it isn't very comfortable when they don't have a fully upholstered back rest, for these, most people will use some more foam to the same thickness as the seat bases.

When undertaking your build, it is very easy to have 2 x lengthwise side sofa/seats that can be used as single beds, but then by having a simple pull out facility on both of the seat bases and using the back cushions, this method then produces one very wide and long double bed.

Ask away Alan, we are all here to help you.

Phil

Minisorella

You can buy so many varied mattress sizes these days, especially on the interwebby, from the standard UK sizes we all know to various continental ones. I think even Ikea have their own sizes, so it might not be too difficult to find one that suits the van, rather than the other way round. Mattesses for bunk beds are usually much narrower than normal beds.

On the other hand, you can easily buy mattress-depth block foam or memory foam and cut it (or have it cut) to whatever size you need. It would need covering though (I mean aside from bedding) you know how foam always feels like it's sticking to everything it touches ! If you can't turn your hand to covers, how about buying a couple of stretchy, single fitted sheets ... fit one from the top and the other from underneath (or a huge one that would stretch right over the whole thing), then stitch everything in place as a permanent mattress cover.

Of course, if you want them properly upholstered as seating during the day, you'd also probably find that most motorhome/caravan re-upholsterers could make something up to fit your sizes.

Last edited by a moderator:

AlanD

I'm wondering if it will be easier and cheaper to make the bed bases to suit a ready made mattress, rather than have foam ones made.

Deleted member 4404

I had foam cut, because as Phil said if you are using them for seating they really need a foam back. Our single pulls out and uses the back to make up the bed width.

REC

Forum Member
I think it is so much down to personal taste. We had a foam one made and it was lovely ( think it was about £140 in two pieces, covered with stockinette) But a mattress ready made is easy to get bedding for, and more choice. Our bed was transverse and a little shorter than double so we had no choice really. It converted into a sofa when we wanted it so one mattress became the back of the seat.

groyne

An Ikea matress was almost a perfect fit for our bed across the back of the van. Best bet is to decide what size bed you want, then see what sizes of mattress are out there, then adjust bed size to suit.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)