Bed Weight?

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
I've just drawn this bed frame up and intend to make it in aluminium box section. Without welding the software says it will be just over 20kg Have any of you weighed your bed?

Mark
Bed frame.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: RAW

Deleted member 4404

Haven't weighed our bed, but I would think your frame is a lot lighter than our timber one.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Initially I wanted the bed to be mounted longitudinally, much safer to sleep in whilst someone else is driving. After mocking up the layout on the floor I was shocked at how much space would be wasted for just walking. The up side of the transverse bed is that is can also be used as a body stiffener. If the real bed weighs the same as the drawing it looks like it will be a good idea.

Mark

wildebus

Forum Member
Initially I wanted the bed to be mounted longitudinally, much safer to sleep in whilst someone else is driving. After mocking up the layout on the floor I was shocked at how much space would be wasted for just walking. The up side of the transverse bed is that is can also be used as a body stiffener. If the real bed weighs the same as the drawing it looks like it will be a good idea.

Mark
"much safer to sleep in whilst someone else is driving "? ummm, not a cracking idea whichever way the bed is pointing really?

Anyways, transverse vs longitudinally: for people who have sufficient width in their vans (or are 'vertically challenged'), the transverse bed seems a good way to save floorspace, but if two in the bed, one person will always get climbed over which may end up getting very boring after a while I think?

Greggbear67

Forum Member
I built my own bed from plywood & cls timber. Top is hinged to make a large storage locker & to house the electrics. 4ft wide & mounted across the body with a 1ft walkway all round gives me a separate bedroom at the back & a permanent bed. Still only used 6ft of floor length, same as if the bed was mounted along the floor.

QFour

We have a MH and the beds both front and back are very comfortable. Personally I think it is down to the construction of the bed. The mattress is only 75mm thick but it has wooden slats underneath. These really give a good nights sleep. Both beds are moveable one moves up and down above the seats the other lifts to get to underneath storage. Both are made from aluminum frame. Lots of people say that their mattress is terrible. Some fit the inevitable mattress topper to try and help.

wildebus

Forum Member
Does anyone have a plan or drawings for a pull out bed?
Depends what kind of pull-out, but if you are after a Couch that converts to a bed will a pull-out, the"Deep Red Motorhome" website has some excellent information on it (sadly the author has passed, but the information is being left up as a tribute to his efforts to help others)
See here - http://deepredmotorhome.com/ and specifically this page - http://deepredmotorhome.com/bed.php

Jamesy

Forum Member
Depends what kind of pull-out, but if you are after a Couch that converts to a bed will a pull-out, the"Deep Red Motorhome" website has some excellent information on it (sadly the author has passed, but the information is being left up as a tribute to his efforts to help others)
See here - http://deepredmotorhome.com/ and specifically this page - http://deepredmotorhome.com/bed.php
Brilliant. Thanks very much for the pointer. Cheers.

RV2MAX

Forum Member
@SquirrellCook what was estimated cost of your ali for the frame ? I have been looking at similar , or even modding a side opening ottoman bed frame , they have gas strut assist .

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
The bed frame is constructed from 1"x 2" x 10g aluminium extruded box. I expect I'll use a company called "Simmal" as they have been trouble free in the past. I estimate I'll need Six 5 meter lengths. They are asking £212.00 plus vat and carriage.

Mark

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Looks good.

My bed design has funny origins, as it was intended for someone else. There was a design criteria. One feature was that it would have to be able to handle extremely energetic sex! Hence it may look a little overconstructed. As it never got installed I adopted it for Murky.

As "Betty" is having a lot of structure being removed from the back I wanted to use the bed as a stiffener for the body.

Mark

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)