Air Suspension - Anyone using it ?

RAW

Forum Member
Interestingly when I was at the Motorhome show yesterday I came across a Couple of providers of Air ride systems
One of them has quoted me already for a system to use on the rear of the new Merc coming in at just shy of £1,000
glide-rite.com
Semi Air Suspension - Leaf Spring Chassis.jpg

Digital Gauge Pic.PNG

So just wondering if anyone is using any air or semi-air type systems on their Vans ?

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Betty has rear full air suspension as standard. Much more complicated than any aftermarket system. Interesting it has additional air chambers to reduced the rising rate. Though I've often thought with some vehicles I've had, an air assist system might be handy.

Reactions: RAW

ScoTTyBEEE

Forum Member
People who buy the ambulances with air suspension rip it out and put leaf springs in. Massive problems with leaks, just not worth the hassle. Probably ok for a few years until things start to perish.

RAW

Forum Member
Probably ok for a few years until things start to perish.
Think tech has improved, they have a 5 year warranty on the air-bag, guarantee against leaks and I would likely flip the van within 5 years. So with the improvement in ride quality and also the option for some levelling I would think they could be a good investment

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
I can see how people would be put off, I'm into Betty to the tune of around £1k just on suspension so far. Stays up for a day now! More hunting required. It's bottom wants painting and insulating so I expect the leaks will be found.

wildebus

Forum Member
I think there is a low-cost system for the Sprinter sub 3.5t models for just a couple of hundred quid? have a search around and you might find it (think it was on eBay I saw it following a comment on one of the forums).

There is also a product that seems popular in the US and is available here as well - "Sumo Springs". Think they are some kind of assister?

Millie Master

Forum Member
Personally speaking if it was a new or nearly new van, it might be worthwhile fitting air suspenders, but surely when talking about an old van it is as far as I am concerned a no brainer to consider doing the conversion.

RAW

Forum Member
Personally speaking if it was a new or nearly new van, it might be worthwhile fitting air suspenders, but surely when talking about an old van it is as far as I am concerned a no brainer to consider doing the conversion.
Think it would improve ride and handling on an old mercedes and better than fitting new leaf springs IMO

wildebus

Forum Member
I found my old van after I took all the seats out was blooming terrible and super-bouncy.
Once I got some weight back in and running around 3t or so, the ride was a lot better. I'd be inclined to sort out the interior as you want and see how things are going then.
I'd also check and play around with tyre pressures. It seems with Campers and Motorhomes, lots of people seem to think that the tyre pressures should be set at whatever the tyre sidewall says for the maximum PSI - which is not the case at all.

I personally am of a similar mindset to MillieMaster on the idea of fitting air suspension to a 20 year old Sprinter. Before laying out 4 figure money on something like that, check the basics are right and then also be sure you are happy with the camper and intend to be keeping for a decent period - I doubt very much you would get anywhere close to what it would cost as an added value to the vehicle!

Nabsim

Forum Member
No idea how much it cost as it was installed when I got the van but mine has AS rear air suspension/air assist. Twin gauges and twin bleed valves in the cab along with compressor switch so everything can be done from drivers seat. I was in touch with AS last year when I asked about correct pressure settings and they informed me the system was fitted in 2007. Still working perfectly.

Edit: My van was uprated from 3.8 to 4t

• Thank You

RAW

Forum Member
I'd also check and play around with tyre pressures. It seems with Campers and Motorhomes, lots of people seem to think that the tyre pressures should be set at whatever the tyre sidewall says for the maximum PSI - which is not the case at all.

I personally am of a similar mindset to MillieMaster on the idea of fitting air suspension to a 20 year old Sprinter. Before laying out 4 figure money on something like that, check the basics are right and then also be sure you are happy with the camper and intend to be keeping for a decent period - I doubt very much you would get anywhere close to what it would cost as an added value to the vehicle!
Well said and valid points, thanks everybody :)

Millie Master

Forum Member
I don't know if such a thing exists for an old 311 Merc. but I do know that when talking about the dear old Land Rover Series models, the fitting of parabolic springs makes an enormous difference (and I mean AMAZING) to the quality of the ride, so who knows??

Nabsim

Forum Member
I had a lot of people asking me about being affected by passing big vehicles and wind, they all said Sorinters suffered from this. I don’t know if it is only certain models or not or if it is the rear air but my van is very stable.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)