Adding a 3rd seat to 1999 fiat ducato

Tinyatom

Forum Member
Hi,

I have a 1999 fiat ducato e645 bessacar which is in great condition worth keeping it for another many years. We love the experience but we are expecting our first baby and wonder how we could add a third seat to the motorhome? The local body builder(expert) is confident to secure a frame to the chase in between the current seats and the idea is to use the frame to firmly secure the baby seat with a 3 point seat belt and no compromise to safety. Any suggestions on the process to find out whether this is allowed by DVLA or not? What implications could this have on the insurance? The worst alternative is to sell our loved bessacar and buy another MH. Please suggest.

Many thanks

Squiffy

Forum Member
I fitted a double swivel seat into my sons 2015 Peugeot Boxer about two years ago. This seat had seat belts fitted to the seat frame so seat belt mountings were not required. I mounted it on a frame that I welded up and drilled down through the floor and used mild steel plates to strengthen the floor area at bolt down locations, there was no problem at the MoT station at its mot as it was deemed a strong enough mounting and the seat belts were original equipment on the VW double swivel seat in any case ( The suitability of a seat mounting is down to the MoT testers discretion). Of course in your case the mounting would have to as suggested go through the ply floor and on to the vehicle chassis which again would not be an overly difficult task, the seat belt anchors would be the major problem to over come, so the frame would have to be welded up to include a rear frame encompassing the seat back so that the over shoulder strap has a decent mounting point, this frame could be easily disguised so it's not too ugly. Phil

P.s. My son wanted this to be able to carry his at the time unborn daughter she is now almost three and they have another daughter on the way in July so the double set was a good choice 👌

Last edited:

trevskoda

Forum Member
Seat under floor mounting plates here and UK MUST be a size as set out in veh construction and use regs, if its a belted seat and the plates are correct there is no problem with MOT or INS co.

Tinyatom

Forum Member
I fitted a double swivel seat into my sons 2015 Peugeot Boxer about two years ago. This seat had seat belts fitted to the seat frame so seat belt mountings were not required. I mounted it on a frame that I welded up and drilled down through the floor and used mild steel plates to strengthen the floor area at bolt down locations, there was no problem at the MoT station at its mot as it was deemed a strong enough mounting and the seat belts were original equipment on the VW double swivel seat in any case ( The suitability of a seat mounting is down to the MoT testers discretion). Of course in your case the mounting would have to as suggested go through the ply floor and on to the vehicle chassis which again would not be an overly difficult task, the seat belt anchors would be the major problem to over come, so the frame would have to be welded up to include a rear frame encompassing the seat back so that the over shoulder strap has a decent mounting point, this frame could be easily disguised so it's not too ugly. Phil

P.s. My son wanted this to be able to carry his at the time unborn daughter she is now almost three and they have another daughter on the way in July so the double set was a good choice 👌
Thank you. Great idea. Was it forward facing? Any pictures of the work done?

Squiffy

Forum Member
Thank you. Great idea. Was it forward facing? Any pictures of the work done?
I'm here on holiday with him and his family at Llangennith I'll take some photos later when their three year old wakes up from her afternoon knap 😁. Phil
P.s. Its actually swivelling so has a 180 deg position though only locks into travelling position at forward and rear ward positions.

Squiffy

Forum Member
As promised these are photos of double swivel seat from a VW (Not sure which model) sat on a box framed base that I welded up encased in decorative ply all mounted on front plates over inside floor and rear plates under the floor pan. The seat itself can as seen swivel 180deg and locks into travelling position at 0deg forward and 180deg rearward, but can be put at any position in between, it also lays flat and can be used as a bed for a child up to about 7 or eight. There is a three point and a lap belt for two passengers. The other photos I've put up are of the new over front seat bed for his daughter which can also accommodate another bunk bed below the top one.Phil

As for pictures of work in progress, my Son took alot but has them stored on a hdd at his house.

Attachments

• 20220523_174204.jpg
    20220523_174204.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 257
  • 20220523_174158.jpg
    20220523_174158.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 219
  • 20220523_174116.jpg
    20220523_174116.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 202
  • 20220523_174031.jpg
    20220523_174031.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 178
  • 20220523_173927.jpg
    20220523_173927.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 220
  • 20220523_173858.jpg
    20220523_173858.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 210
  • 20220523_173838.jpg
    20220523_173838.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 190
  • 20220523_173811.jpg
    20220523_173811.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 169
  • 20220523_173819.jpg
    20220523_173819.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 186
  • 20220523_173708.jpg
    20220523_173708.jpg
    867.5 KB · Views: 233
  • 20220523_173623.jpg
    20220523_173623.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 264
  • 20220523_173611.jpg
    20220523_173611.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 230
Last edited:

Tinyatom

Forum Member
This is brilliant job. Thanks for the details and pics. I rang DVSA to understand any approvals but none answered the 1 hour 15 minutes call. Sent them an email just in case. Will take the MH to the bodyshop and show him these pics and the standards specifications. Hopefully he can replace the single passenger seat with a double or add a frame with seat belts in between the driver and passenger seats to which we can attach a child seat. Dont want to sell this great MH. Will keep everyone posted. Thanks for the support and guidance

Tinyatom

Forum Member
Update - i found this double passenger seat swivel base and have requested them to confirm the fittings. Any prior experience?

This is base alone and i think i have to source a double passenger seat for fiat ducato 1999. Any suggestions on where i could find one? Tried ebay but not sure whether those fits into mine.

https://www.customshopdesigns.com/product-page/ducato-boxer-relay-double-seat-swivel-rhd-uk

Attaching few pics as i doubt whether there is enough space to rotate or not. I like the idea of a swivel as then i can probably access the rear of the motorhome without having to get out. Any thoughts?

Double passenger with/without swivel seems to be the way forward. Need to find one that fits a 1999 fiat ducato. Please post a link if you happen to find one somewhere. Thanks 🙏🏽

Attachments

• 861856BA-0222-494C-9E0D-F0BFBBA477CD.jpeg
    861856BA-0222-494C-9E0D-F0BFBBA477CD.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 207
  • C060BC1A-E58D-47CC-BC9C-7795F320343E.jpeg
    C060BC1A-E58D-47CC-BC9C-7795F320343E.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 180
  • 9C6B3D16-31CC-4258-A1D1-D75486E844E6.jpeg
    9C6B3D16-31CC-4258-A1D1-D75486E844E6.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 192

Squiffy

Forum Member
Be very careful as double seats are not the same fittings, the swivel base you have located will have a very specific make of seat that corresponds to it, or you will be into a major modification situation 😉. Phil

If you intend to go down the three seats in the cab then I would buy the the two seat non swivel option that was original to a Ducato and go with having to leave the cab and enter the hab section through the sliding door. Though a double sliding seat could be possible I suppose. Phil

Squiffy

Forum Member
I see. Thanks for the input Phil. By sliding you mean slide forward?
Sorry I was assuming you had a panel van conversion but of course your van is a coach built. So no I was suggesting that you went back to a fixed double seat as per the original for a Ducato/Relay/Peugeot van and you would have to leave by the drivers door and walk round to the hab door to get into the Habitation side. I am personally not sure that the swivelling double VW seat would have enough room to swivel around in a 1999 Ducato van cab. But apparently they have enough room to swivel in a VW Transporter cab, 🤷‍♂️. Phil

MatijaSever

Forum Member
fitted a double swivel seat into my sons 2015 Peugeot Boxer about two years ago. This seat had seat belts fitted to the seat frame so seat belt mountings were not required. I mounted it on a frame that I welded up and drilled down through the floor and used mild steel plates to strengthen the floor area at bolt down locations, there was no problem at the MoT station at its mot as it was deemed a strong enough mounting and the seat belts were original equipment on the VW double swivel seat in any case ( The suitability of a seat mounting is down to the MoT testers discretion). Of course in your case the mounting would have to as suggested go through the ply floor and on to the vehicle chassis which again would not be an overly difficult task, the seat belt anchors would be the major problem to over come, so the frame would have to be welded up to include a rear frame encompassing the seat back so that the over shoulder strap has a decent mounting point, this frame could be easily disguised so it's not too ugly. Phil mage miniatures

P.s. My son wanted this to be able to carry his at the time unborn daughter she is now almost three and they have another daughter on the way in July so the double set was a good choice https://www.viberate.com/music-analytics/spotify-data-analytics/
Thats fantastic job!

Last edited:

Squiffy

Forum Member
:giggle:
This van has now been sold as he hasn't got the time due to work load and new house move, as there was not sufficient space at the new home to park the van and his and his wife's cars so the van had to go. Apparently the new owner is over the moon with it. Phil

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)