3.5 to 7 tonnes Private Heavy Goods Vehicles

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Just for fun may be?
Trying to find DVLA rules has not gone well, though on my search I came across the CPC rules.
So if you use your PHGV motorhome to carry goodies to a car boot sale you will need a CPC license as you are transporting goods to be sold.
If this is the case your motorhome is now considered HGV and requires a tachograph to be fitted and working.
Also I expect you might need a plating certificate and require testing at a VOSA centre. The last thing is not bad as it's a better quality test.

You have a motorcycle in you motorhome and you intend to compete at an event and hold a professional racing licence. Oh no another CPC violation and all the HGV stuff kicks in again. With an armature licence I guess it would be another story.

Now strangely form a CPC point of view, you can carry your tools to a place work and be paid for what you do.
It would be nice to read a government document on this.
My understanding is if all goods are yours and the vehicle is not being used for higher or reward all is fine.

It does seem that main problem seems to be, who stopped you and why? As to what they throw at you.

Mark

Millie Master

Forum Member
I know these rules and regulations does make you wonder why the writers haven't disappeared up their own back sides!!

wildebus

Forum Member
Just for fun may be?
Trying to find DVLA rules has not gone well, though on my search I came across the CPC rules.
So if you use your PHGV motorhome to carry goodies to a car boot sale you will need a CPC license as you are transporting goods to be sold.
If this is the case your motorhome is now considered HGV and requires a tachograph to be fitted and working.
Also I expect you might need a plating certificate and require testing at a VOSA centre. The last thing is not bad as it's a better quality test.

You have a motorcycle in you motorhome and you intend to compete at an event and hold a professional racing licence. Oh no another CPC violation and all the HGV stuff kicks in again. With an armature licence I guess it would be another story.

Now strangely form a CPC point of view, you can carry your tools to a place work and be paid for what you do.
It would be nice to read a government document on this.
My understanding is if all goods are yours and the vehicle is not being used for higher or reward all is fine.

It does seem that main problem seems to be, who stopped you and why? As to what they throw at you.

Mark
These variations are a common discussion amongst horsebox tow'ers - go to a competition and lose and a different rule applies than if you win ;) (it's about the 'reward' bit)
also speed limits .... on your car boot sale example, your speed drops to that of a commercial van when used for that use.
And both the above can apply to under 3.5t vans

Oh, on the plus side, if you are going to a car boot sale, you probably won't need a tacho on your >3.5t van as it will likely be within 62 miles of your home (no tachos needed if operating within a 100km radius of base location).

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)