24 volt Eberspacher

mistericeman

Forum Member
Latest update: switch on and after some time the pump works for 4 to 16 clicks and then stops, smoke from the exhaust but no fan working. Fan works fine when disconnected and running off battery and this is on 24 volts from 2 fully charged batteries.

Can you read the fault codes from the ecu with the controller you've got (701/801 types can)

Fan should pulse or run slow whilst the ecu runs its start up procedure.

StreetSleeper

Forum Member
Can you read the fault codes from the ecu with the controller you've got (701/801 types can)

Fan should pulse or run slow whilst the ecu runs its start up procedure.
Unable to read fault codes, I have this controller. As for the fan, it does not rotate at all when switching on.
1615760829198.png

StreetSleeper

Forum Member
If worse comes to worst I will stick a Chinese motherboard in it.... the fan will run off 12v, I tested that out today. Not sure about the glow plug may have to use a proper 12v one................. but not at that stage yet.

mistericeman

Forum Member
Fan not rotating sounds like the ecu isn't initialising as far as it's test pulse of the fan...
So ecu fault or Possibly locked out after several initialisation fail...

StreetSleeper

Forum Member
Fan not rotating sounds like the ecu isn't initialising as far as it's test pulse of the fan...
So ecu fault or Possibly locked out after several initialisation fail...
I am afraid to say it but I think you may be right... looking back at the advert it never mentioned 'in working order' but on the other hand it didn't say for spares or repair.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Had the ECU and the controller apart looking for burnt bits but none could be found but while I was inside there were stickers with 24v on them.
There will be a part number on the ECU, this will denote what application it was intended for. For example I have an ebespacher from a DAF truck. It's controlled by the trucks climate control system and will not work from a eberspacher controller.

StreetSleeper

Forum Member
There will be a part number on the ECU, this will denote what application it was intended for. For example I have an ebespacher from a DAF truck. It's controlled by the trucks climate control system and will not work from a eberspacher controller.
Looked last night and it seems to be the right controller.......... 25 1977 51 00 01

DSCN0188.JPG

Last edited:

StreetSleeper

Forum Member
Whipped the glow plug out and, as you can see, I think it could do with a service.

AE9B3499-9BBF-4FC6-9573-3517D2A88FCF.jpeg

Definitely looks like the glow plug could do with a clean.

863EE55D-9265-454A-AEAF-AA11A88F7FED.jpeg

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
It's the same eberspacher I'm using in Murky, but mine was fitted to a Volvo. The wiring was Volvo, so I had to get the trucks wiring diagram and translate it to eberspacher. All functions well, but no diagnostic wire in the Volvo loom. As I originally used the Volvo controls it was not a problem. It now has an eberspacher contoller, but the dianostics don't work.

Yes your ECU number seems ok.

mistericeman

Forum Member
It's the same eberspacher I'm using in Murky, but mine was fitted to a Volvo. The wiring was Volvo, so I had to get the trucks wiring diagram and translate it to eberspacher. All functions well, but no diagnostic wire in the Volvo loom. As I originally used the Volvo controls it was not a problem. It now has an eberspacher contoller, but the dianostics don't work.

Can you just run the diagnostic wire direct from controller to the Eber loom?

StreetSleeper

Forum Member

Took it apart, found one or two thing that may have been the problem.............. post photos next

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Can you just run the diagnostic wire direct from controller to the Eber loom?
I was lucky that the drivers step was retained when the coach got made. I put an access door in the body for it. As such to run a new wire to it would be quite an undertaking. So as long as it doesn't give trouble I'll leave it alone.

StreetSleeper

Forum Member
Set about stripping it down; fairly straight forward as all the screws are still in good condition. First thing I noticed, how easy it came apart: the gaskets seemed not to have stuck very well. The second thing I noticed, after I had removed the fan, was a nice leak coming from the bottom on the inside; which made me think perhaps the gasket wasn't making a good seal.

DSCN0177.JPG

Next job.
Get the glow plug wire gauze out. To achieve this I found the easy way was to collapse one side and remove with a pair of long nose pliers. As you can see from the picture, it's in a bit of a sorry state.

DSCN0178.JPG

Here are the gaskets. The one on the left still had traces of grease round the edges, the felt O-ring was absolutely soaking in diesel and the burner gasket just fell out.

DSCN0179.JPG

By the looks of it, it wasn't doing a very good job as a seal: you can see where the gases had bypassed.

DSCN0181.JPG

All cleaned up and ready for the gaskets. Could not believe the price of a service kit but as the rest of the heater is in good condition I see it more as an investment than something I have to pay for.

DSCN0182.JPG

Glow plug cleaned up nicely although I don't know if I will be using it as I am getting a new one in the service kit.

DSCN0189.JPG

DSCN0190.JPG

Last edited:

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Someone has been there before you, I wonder why?
Is your felt seal missing on the front of the burner?

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)