12volt Compressor

Greggbear67

Forum Member
Can anyone reccomend a decent heavy duty compressor to carry in the bus please? I have one for the car but its not very powerful, would like a better one for on the road....

Squiffy

Forum Member
Depends on what you want to do with it Gregg, just tyre or air tools ? And how much you want to pay for it. I'm assuming its just for tyres going by you have one for the car. Phil

Greggbear67

Forum Member
Depends on what you want to do with it Gregg, just tyre or air tools ? And how much you want to pay for it. I'm assuming its just for tyres going by you have one for the car. Phil

Yeah, just want to pack something to blow tyres up. My little car one isn't very quick plus my bus tyres need around 70psi so I'm after something a bit better.

mistericeman

Forum Member
T maxx one for me all the way.... Not cheap BUT handles the landrover tyres as well as moho ones....

Usually around £70.... I bought mine for £30 at a 4x4 show.

Screenshot_20210708-231901_eBay.jpg

wildebus

Forum Member
My experience with diy tyre inflators, is that they would die before finishing the job on a truck tyre. I guess your brakes are vacuum assisted?
Shortly after I got my LT46 one of the rear tyres deflated on a journey due to the valve extender working loose. I was at a VW Show when I noticed it and borrowed a Compressor based Tyre Inflator rated at something like 300PSI to pump it up.
After around 30 minutes the tyre pressure was around 10PSI more than started with and the compressor started smoking! fortunately it still worked so could return it but learnt from that....
I bought a RAC (Ring Air Compressor, Not Royal Automobile Club) 900 (https://amzn.to/3xw80xc) and that works great. I have used it to reinflate from flat a pair of 205/70R15 tyres to 65PSI simultaneously (that's quite a lot of air) with no issues.

trevskoda

Forum Member
With being in the spraying game I can tell you the thing to look for is the CFM not pressure, anything that can reach 80 psi with a good Cfm and a heavier duty motor is what you should be looking at as the one mistericeman shows, thick power cables a must also, power from the battery with crock clips not the ciggy socket.

Tookey

Forum Member
Can anyone reccomend a decent heavy duty compressor to carry in the bus please? I have one for the car but its not very powerful, would like a better one for on the road....
After some reading up I choose a Viar compressor. I used it recently to jack up my motorhome (small) with an inflatable jack and it didn't struggle or feel hot. Viar have a large range so likely one is available for your bus requirements

Phantom

Forum Member
When I was looking for a decent one to get my rear tyres to 65 PSI I narrowed it down to the T-Max or RAC900. I picked up a barely used RAC900 for half price and it is just brilliant, compact, very quiet, and inflates fast.

Deleted member 12559

The RAC 900 seems to get the most commendations whenever 'recommend a tyre inflator'
comes up. I change my own tyres, & abused a lesser RAC (pic) model to inflate from zero to
5 or 6 bar probably 10 times spaced out over 2 or 3 years before burn out. Surprisingly not
the motor or pump, but just some small electrical component. I now carry a Ring RTC 1000
for top ups and the fuel station supply for the full monty.
Tyre change.jpg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)