Which Adhesive to attach cellotex to aluminium sheets

Squiffy

Forum Member
Hi All
So I found the answer I was looking for and its a 2 part polyurethane resin called EM400 and it's sold by https://www.thegluepeople.co.uk/polyurethanes-c-6_10/tradepur-em400-p-29.html it's specifically formulated for this exact application, it's not cheap tho.
Seems to be what you require, but looking at the advert it looks like they are giving a misleading photo of the sizes available or they are using the same size containers but only partially filling them 🤔.Phil

Robbo777

Forum Member
Seems to be what you require, but looking at the advert it looks like they are giving a misleading photo of the sizes available or they are using the same size containers but only partially filling them 🤔.Phil
Yep, same size containers and just filling them with the required quantity. I've got 10 huge tubs with a little bit in each.

Missgingerjones

Forum Member
Hi All
So I found the answer I was looking for and its a 2 part polyurethane resin called EM400 and it's sold by https://www.thegluepeople.co.uk/polyurethanes-c-6_10/tradepur-em400-p-29.html it's specifically formulated for this exact application, it's not cheap tho.
Can I ask how you got on with this? I’m looking at adhesive for the same thing, but I’m worried that on the page for this it says “plastic coated metal”? My aluminium is bare so I’m worried it might react?

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
As part of my slow extension build at work there is a huge amount of insulation to fix and fit.
Surprisingly I've found spray foam to be just the job.
It sticks like **** to a blanket! To flesh, to hair and just about anywhere you didn't want it.
Even though it is a foam when applied, it will collapse to a glue to suit the space.
If used straight from a can it is not the same, you need to invest in the gun type to control it.
If your trimming is as bad as mine, the foam can be used to fill the gaps.
If the panel has to be held in place, about 30 minutes wait seems to be long enough to hold it.

Mark

Duckato

Forum Member
Personally I would have used contact adhesive bondit is reasonably priced for a 5l can it is instant stick so a one shot go though so probably using smaller pieces of pir would be sensible.

If one of the surfaces had been porous then bog standard dirty cheap vinyl flooring adhesive is surprisingly good stuff
I use it for pvc cladding in shower rooms etc and best thing about it is you can adjust the panels a bit as it isn’t instant grab.

Merl

Forum Member
Because both surfaces aren't perfectly flat I personally wouldn't use contact adhesive because it'll only stick in the odd places that it touches. As you say you need something that'll fill the slight gaps (to avoid a void) but doesn't cost a fortune because you're going to need quiet a bit of it.
What I did when I basically rebuilt my PVC was to use expanding foam like Squirrelcook.
If you get yourself a foam gun you can apply strips of foam to form a layer of foam of a reasonably consistent thickness, say about 10-20mm thick. ( Not particularly critical) The trick is to now leave the foam to go-off slightly before pushing it back against the Ali, if you do it too soon then foam simply turns to a liquid. About 6 minutes is about right, if you touch the foam very lightly with a finger tip and it leaves adhesive on your finger then it's too soon, as soon as it doesn't leave a trace then simply push the insulation in place and ease it back. Of course you get a full bed of insulating adhesive and no air space.
If you want you can put a blob of sika every 2foot or so and of course don't go over the sika with the foam.
Tips,
The foam does the bulk of it's expanding in the first few seconds so don't worry about it growing and growing like something from outer space because it doesn't.
You are able to squish the layer of foam down to nearly nothing if you want so it doesn't have to add any significant thickness but it will take up any depressions filling them with foam.
After you've pushed it back into place the foam does re-expand very slightly unless you prop it. After half an hour it's basically fixed.
You can use the same method for fixing back the ply to the insulation.