Webasto

MarkJ

Forum Member
Asking for a friend (yes, really).

He had a Webasto diesel heater fitted to his VW Bilbo conversion a few years ago and it’s never been quite right.

It now billows white smoke all the time.

He’s been to there different places to get it looked at, they all say they’ve fixed it - but still the same.

Options? He’s just about to rip it out and bin it in disgust!

Thanks

wildebus

Forum Member
Asking for a friend (yes, really).

He had a Webasto diesel heater fitted to his VW Bilbo conversion a few years ago and it’s never been quite right.

It now billows white smoke all the time.

He’s been to there different places to get it looked at, they all say they’ve fixed it - but still the same.

Options? He’s just about to rip it out and bin it in disgust!

Thanks
White smoke? like this? :)

Common problem with diesel heaters. but actually a pretty easy fix generally I think. (I didn't bother fixing mine as has a few other issues from new with it so was not worth it)
How to fix? best to speak to someone here who would have done it :)

mistericeman

Forum Member
Usually a sign of glow pin/gauze issues (both service items )

Worth trying to run a gallon of Parrafin/Kerosene through IF you can get at the fuel pick up easily ....
Paraffin runs hotter and cleaner than diesel so helps to clear carbon/sludge build up .
That said IF the glow pin is failing (not getting hot enough to give complete ignition, then strip down and glow pin replacement will be the only answer .

wildebus

Forum Member
Usually a sign of glow pin/gauze issues (both service items )

Worth trying to run a gallon of Parrafin/Kerosene through IF you can get at the fuel pick up easily ....
Paraffin runs hotter and cleaner than diesel so helps to clear carbon/sludge build up .
That said IF the glow pin is failing (not getting hot enough to give complete ignition, then strip down and glow pin replacement will be the only answer .
I had heard that. My Video was heater fueled 100% by Kersone only and ever :)

Dowel

Forum Member
Before you take things apart are you sure that the heater is receiving a healthy supply of electricity, enough volts and amps to heat the glow plug. If the plug is not hot the diesel will not ignite.

White vapour from the exhaust is unburnt diesel. If the battery powering the diesel heater is wilting under load try starting the van engine first, run it at a fast idle to get a boost from the alternator then with engine still running try to start the diesel heater.

Undersized, over long or poorly connected supply to the heater can cause volts drop too. Possibly a reason why "it’s never been quite right"?

I don't have a Webasto heater but I assume it has an error code system? Even cheap Chinese heaters with the simplest controller can indicate errors by the number of LEDs that are lit. The better controllers have icons and can display the error codes on their screen. Have you looked for that?

EDIT: PS you do not want to breathe much of that white diesel vapour one can develop an allergic reaction. I am now sensitive to diesel exhaust and smoke from burning wood in our domestic stove. Fortunately my Euro5 van exhaust is much cleaner so I can live with that.

Last edited:

MarkJ

Forum Member
Thanks for the replies, all. My friend didn't mention whether he'd had the electrics checked, so I'll ask him.

As far as I know, there are no error codes.

One "repairer" said "they all make loads of smoke and not to worry...."

mistericeman

Forum Member
To be honest same as the equivalent eberspacher ...they are really pretty simple beasts ....
(And I'm looking forward to having another in the mohome and be rid of the gas fire)

9 times from 10 low battery state will trigger a fault code rather than poor running (they are pretty good at self checking and flagging faults ...sometime too good )
I've worked on eberspacher units that have run many many thousands of hours with very little maintainance ...
Funnily enough ...not using them regularly causes more issues than them working hard ;-)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)