Replacement Light Glass - An Option

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Changing the fluorescent lights on Murky, the LED's reduced electricity consumption dramatically.
The Led's were much brighter. The down side was the cost as they were industrial quality.

trevskoda

Forum Member
Fluorescent tubes are hardly any different to led for power consumption, at least the size you usually get in motorhomes aren’t (12v ones)
Problem with them is you should not turn them off for a half hr after turning on, and they use 3 times the current to start them, not as good as you think.

Pudsey Bear

Forum Member
Problem with them is you should not turn them off for a half hr after turning on, and they use 3 times the current to start them, not as good as you think.
I don't get that Trev, why leave it on for 30 mins if you only need 5, and does that rule apply to 12v ones?

wildebus

Forum Member
I don't get that Trev, why leave it on for 30 mins if you only need 5, and does that rule apply to 12v ones?
I think there are some thoughts about warming up, starters, etc?

Now for myself, if I need a light on for 5 minutes, I leave it on for 5 minutes and not 30!
I have two lights in the house that use fluorescent tubes. These are the round ones that go into the circular fittings. Oddly enough it was only yesterday that I was looking for LED replacements for the tubes, but cannot find any that fit that existing fitting :(
I could put a new fitting in of course, but when these lights are on for maybe 30 minutes a day in total, drawing around 12Wh a day, there certainly is no real economic reason to replace them (the pair of them combined will be using about £1.75 worth of electricity a year at current prices) and despite being turned off soon after being on (lights are in a loo and utility room) both tubes are still working at over 13 years old.

Why did I look for LED replacements? Because they (the fluorescents) take so long to light up after switching on! THAT is a very annoying thing about them. I have actually bought new tubes to see if they will be quicker (never know!). If new ones no better, will send back.

Last edited:

Nabsim

Forum Member
I may have said wrong thing, the tube I am thinking of is a halogen one, is that classed as flourescent? In any event there is only a couple of watts difference between the halogen tube and the led replacement. After I discovered this I didn’t bother doing the one over the bed

wildebus

Forum Member
On my Motorhome I have two sets of lights ... the original ones are flourescent tubes over the cupboards, and the other is an added LED Strip that is in the same place but also spans the ceiling between left and right.
In terms of amount of lighting distance, the LED strip must be at least twice the length, being a continuous strip rather then a few separate fittings. When I want the best light, I use the LED lights. If I want more subdued lighting, I would use the tubes as the lights are less intense and the more traditional yellowy colour. But ..... the LED lights are MUCH more efficient I can see from the current use.

Pudsey Bear

Forum Member
We have 3 Flo tubes, I've replaced two, and I need to get one for over the kitchen worktop, but I'll see how much we actually need it as there is a LED lamp there already facing down

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)