Interesting Comparison of Boards

wildebus

Forum Member
I found this quite interesting ...

This is an offcut of one of the cupboards from my Motorhome ....
Front and Edge on
MH Cupboards by David, on Flickr

And a section from a Motorhome I was working on yesterday ...

Quite a difference there I thought. The second piece is definately lighter.
Top is made up of 5 pieces of 3mm lightweight ply with a front and back 1mm finish veneer
Bottom one is 3 pieces of 1mm ply front and back in a polystyrene sandwich.

I would be interested if the differences are:

1) Country of Origin? The top is British (Autotrail) and the bottom is German (Burstner).
2) Brand? Is it a Burstner thing? (other British Motorhomes are same as the Autotrail)
3) Age? Autotrail is a 2007 model and the Burstner is a 2018 model
4) Weight Saving?
5) Price Saving? I would guess the bottom would would be cheaper per square metre, but maybe not?

mb2tv

Forum Member
I am not sure of the plywood as I thought the lighter material has more layers.
As for the second one, when I was looking for light material I came across this ply that has foam inside, very similar to yours. I saw it in an Arnold Laver warehouse, the problem was they stopped retailing it and had only two boards slightly damaged. I will try and look for the brochure I saw it in. It was very lightweight and strong, had they continued to stock it I would have considered it to my build. If I remember the guy said they stopped manufacturing it. Shame, as it is ideal for such builds.

Actually found the material in this link:

Last edited:

wildebus

Forum Member
That does look very similar. I am sure it is good quality stuff, but something I was a touch wary of is how well it took fastenings? As you might guess from the piece I posted, this was a hole made to take a socket that would have a plug pushing in and pulling out and I was concerned that there was only this initial 3mm of ply to grab the fastening screws (typically you would go at least half-way in to give a good purchase). So decided to use over-length screws that grabbed on both faces, knowing they would stick out the other side :( . In this case it was ok as was in the battery box and under a false shelf. But other occasios might not be able to do that.

trevskoda

Forum Member
In the boat industry there is a lookalike wood paneling which is light strong and fireproof, name of it I canny remember but its used in super yachts.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)