Connections for tap

bartman

Forum Member
Although I drained the water tank, I have frost damage at the tap due to the water residue there. When the tap is run, the leak is from the region of the base of the tap.
Having undone the back nut under the basin, in order to lift it out I need to disconnect the tails from where they connect to the system. The problem is that I don't know what type of joint I'm looking at. It looks like it might be a John Guest push fit, if is that it is seized with limescale or similar. I'm hoping that somebody here will recognise the fitting and can tell me. I'm also puzzled as to why the hot water fitting is different with the button on it
IMG_20230123_140526.jpg
IMG_20230123_140526.jpg

st3v3

Forum Member
Yes, same as John guest speedfit. You need to push the collar into the fitting side pull the pipe at the same time. Twisting may help.

bartman

Forum Member
Yes, same as John guest speedfit. You need to push the collar into the fitting side pull the pipe at the same time. Twisting may help.
Thanks. I'll give it a going over with some limescale remover tomorrow, I think the collar might move a bit easier then!

Squiffy

Forum Member
Without doubt its a John guest fitting, and as st3v3 says the collar has to be depressed and the tail pulled out. The button looks to be a plug that closes off another orifice. It seems that the originater of fitting the tap ran out of straight connectors and used a "T" piece and a plug. Phil

Screenshot_20230123_221438_eBay.jpg

Last edited:

bartman

Forum Member
Thanks again for your help, after a struggle I managed to release the fitting after dissolving the limescale. It did involve a lot of twisting and turning, the collar kept coming up with the pipe. The good news is that on inspection it appears that the ice pushed out the hoses a little way, past the pin that holds them. Having pushed the pin out, they went fully in with the help of a smear of silicone grease. I haven't refitted them back to the basin yet, but they're air tight so I'm confident they're water tight.
Once I've refitted that one, the kitchen tap is similarly leaking. That'll be a bigger job as it involves removing the fridge - not looking forward to that.
I knew about the need to leave the taps open, but I was too late - the water tank and boiler tank drained ok, but the taps were already frozen and wouldn't move. Lesson learnt.
I'm very grateful for the help on here, I didn't want to force anything without knowing what type of fitting I was looking at.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)