Which Van

WAK1

Hi guys,

We're a family of 6 and are looking to self build...but which van? Wife thinks either an extended lwb/lwb but i prefer the merc vario 814 as i think the kids will appreciate the space.

1. Is there much difference in the drive between the two
2. Fuel and servicing costs comparable?
3. Any difficulties in driving through villages
4. Do campsites accept the vario due to its size?
5. Any advice of where to purchase from

Thanks for the advice

From a total newbie

RV2MAX

Forum Member
First consideration is what driving licence you have as weight is major consideration , when choosing what you can drive?convert

wildebus

Forum Member
so you will have C1E as well then I guess. (D is for minibuses)

Size wise there are plenty of A Class vans much bigger than a Vario used on Campsites so that is not a factor at all.

You know, for a self-build for 6 people I would be inclined to look at vehicles like full truck (7.5t) conversions rather than a big van base.

Millie Master

Forum Member
Finding a van which is capable of housing and transporting 6 people is an enormous ask, it hence totally rules out any of normal Sevel/Sprinter/Master sized vans.

It all depends on how independent you want to be when travelling, if on the one hand you would only ever stop on fully serviced and hence expensive caravan sites then you can possibly get away without a shower, however you might feel that a toilet would be essential, but in so saying, I would very much doubt if any of the commercially available Thetford type toilets would have a large enough holding capacity to cater for such enormous quantities of excrement and urine.

As for the chosen vehicle, yes a Vario 814 might just be made to fit, but it would be a big ask to fit in all you would need to make your conversion anything other than a very significant number of compromises, however a local bus might prove to be capable of just such a task https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173749288765

Mind you, I for one would hate to drive such a thing around narrow country lanes!

Phil

Bouydog

Forum Member
I think 7.5 tonne is your answer to house six people or as Phil says a bus. You need space and payload capacity to be comfortable.
Having a variety of caravans when our children were young we found bigger to be best and made for happier holidays.
Having said that we are converting a 7.5 at the moment for just the two of us, but I like space.

WAK1

Finding a van which is capable of housing and transporting 6 people is an enormous ask, it hence totally rules out any of normal Sevel/Sprinter/Master sized vans.

It all depends on how independent you want to be when travelling, if on the one hand you would only ever stop on fully serviced and hence expensive caravan sites then you can possibly get away without a shower, however you might feel that a toilet would be essential, but in so saying, I would very much doubt if any of the commercially available Thetford type toilets would have a large enough holding capacity to cater for such enormous quantities of excrement and urine.

As for the chosen vehicle, yes a Vario 814 might just be made to fit, but it would be a big ask to fit in all you would need to make your conversion anything other than a very significant number of compromises, however a local bus might prove to be capable of just such a task https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173749288765

Mind you, I for one would hate to drive such a thing around narrow country lanes!

Phil
Thanks

WAK1

Thanks Phil, food for thought. My kids are 12,11,10, 2yrs. We deffo want a shower and toilet and enjoy travelling i to europe currently.

Just concerned about the practicality of a bus/truck and balance between fuel economy and maintenance etc.

trevskoda

Forum Member
Its a ex library bus you require to convert,one chap on here has just bought one as in picture, and i have a slightly smaller one with six seats and two double beds ,but could carry 2 extras at a pinch with hammock bed if required.

Attachments

• new bus.png
    new bus.png
    504 KB · Views: 428
Last edited:

Millie Master

Forum Member
I suppose the way to go is to draw up some plan drawings in which you show all the beds, seating, travelling and sanitary areas and then to plan it out to a body length and then to see what van, library or bus best suits your needs.

Phil

RV2MAX

Forum Member
I would say a 7.5 tonner would be minimum size , and such vehicles are quite usable in Europe , I travel with a US RV 12mtr and its not that of a hassle , small villages in Cornwall are not the best place to go with it , but a 7.5 ton truck is small in comparison , and small bus would be similar . 8 to 9 mtrs can access the vast majority of sites. Being cramped is the quickest way to fall out with fellow travelers :)
Over 3.5 is still a car MOT and the road tax is £165 even for mine at 11.9 ton

Millie Master

Forum Member

The truly MASSIVE overhang at the back end of the 1st advertised would cause you enormous problems as you would be grounding it on even the slightest incline.
The 2nd one looks to be a tremendous vehicle just as long as you would be able to fit enough inside it.

Phil

RV2MAX

Forum Member
Re the overhang , its not as bad as it first looks , as the vehicle has air suspension , and in the pic it is lowered onto the bump stops , so would be a lot higher when in running condition , and even would allow you to raise the suspension to above running height for going on ferry ramps etc . In view of numbers required to accomodate this would be the better bet IMHO

Deleted member 4404

If I had to choose, based only on the adverts, I'd go for the library bus; but both worth looking at. Good luck with your search (y)

wildebus

Forum Member
The biggest obstacle in going over 7.5t is not the size but the license to drive it.
a 7.5t truck will be plenty big enough for 6 as a camper and no need to go bigger, plus for the typical person in the mid 40's or older, they can jump in and drive it - And should it be neccessary, chances are so could their partner. >7.5t and it gets way more complicated

Bouydog

Forum Member
The library bus of these two, plenty of room for two rows of travelling seats and beds galore.
Take your time and go to see a few.

Darcar

Forum Member
I’d agree the library bus is a good choice. Don’t worry to much about length it’s the withe that’s far more constraing. We have a 7.5 vario 814 it’s 7.7 mts long with the bike rack! We’ve been all over Cornwall & North Wales, with no problem. Anywhere a service bus can go so can we!
The Mercedes Vario are simple fantastic vehicles, and you could get 6 traveling and sleeping in a The library bus, look at other library buses as well daf, Iveco & Marc do nice 7.5 ton buses.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)