Which Fuse Box would you prefer?

Tookey

Forum Member
I like your website but maybe consider a click tab labelled 'understanding the basics'. A diagram showing a very simple set up where you can click on a component and it takes you to a layman's description of what it is/does. I do mean every component as well, even what a fuse is and why it's there. Firstly this will be helpful to some and more importantly it makes you more approachable as nobody wants to feel like a muppet so the fact that you have considered the 'know nothing' client should reduce this fear.

I am more than happy to advise looking through the eyes of a novice........I cant offer any other help on here!!!

Last edited:

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
I like your website but maybe consider a click tab labelled 'understanding the basics'. A diagram showing a very simple set up where you can click on a component and it takes you to a layman's description of what it is/does. I do mean every component as well, even what a fuse is and why it's there. Firstly this will be helpful to some and more importantly it makes you more approachable as nobody wants to feel like a muppet so the fact that you have considered the 'know nothing' client should reduce this fear.

I am more than happy to advise looking through the eyes of a novice........I cant offer any other help on here!!!
The fact you are able to "post" advances you above many ;)

wildebus

Forum Member

Interesting idea - I might add a walk-though to go though the components that feature to explain their role and importance

Now this next part may be a bit contentious .... I don't really want to supply the client who literally knows nothing but still wants to do a self-install.
You can go to a certain point when it comes to having ready-made kits for plug and play but when you get certain questions it is time to say "seek a professional to do the install". Shadow them to learn and ask questions but there is only so much you can do remotely and via email/telephone.
I think of it as IKEA .... you get a kit, you get instructions, but if you cannot work out how to put a flat-pack together then you need someone to do it for you, not just more information to read.

I don't think (I hope not) that anyone is going into doing a self-build without having tackled ANYTHING previously. It is too big a project to make it the first time to pick up a screwdriver!

Tookey

Forum Member
Interesting idea - I might add a walk-though to go though the components that feature to explain their role and importance

Now this next part may be a bit contentious .... I don't really want to supply the client who literally knows nothing but still wants to do a self-install.
You can go to a certain point when it comes to having ready-made kits for plug and play but when you get certain questions it is time to say "seek a professional to do the install". Shadow them to learn and ask questions but there is only so much you can do remotely and via email/telephone.
I think of it as IKEA .... you get a kit, you get instructions, but if you cannot work out how to put a flat-pack together then you need someone to do it for you, not just more information to read.

I don't think (I hope not) that anyone is going into doing a self-build without having tackled ANYTHING previously. It is too big a project to make it the first time to pick up a screwdriver!
Your last point is unfortunately incorrect. I am on a FB camper builder site and I assure the knowlege/skill level of some builders is worrying. They want the end result and finacially can only afford to do it themselves so yes, people are picking up screwdrivers for first time. Fortunately for you many lock down builds will be approaching or just got PV install stage.

Tookey

Forum Member

What are your concerns about supplying 'know nothing' clients? Yes, advise pro install but many can't afford it and they will do it themselves wherever they get their advice which could include FB, at least you can be confident your advice is safe.

After further consideration maybe consider doing an intermediate and advanced diagram/walk thru set up as well. Beginners will click on the intermediate set up and think 'oh, I like that gadget, that's cool' and click on Advanced and immediately click the back button!!!

A very simple pro n cons of battery types, again in layman talk would be valuable.

Too many sites think that smothering their most accessible pages in NASA standard kit makes them look all professional and up to date, most punters dont want to be able to check their sine wave (or whatever the advanced stuff does) while out for a walk. As soon as a novice reads two paragraphs in a row that they do not understand many will leave the site. If they are not your target audience you also now know how to get rid of them!!

Last edited:

Nabsim

Forum Member
I like the idea of an interactive install diagram. As said there are a lot of people who have no clue moving in to vans, some as basic as something to lie on. I think it can only be good if there is somewhere folks can look to see how something should be done, how many times do you see people post to look at certain site for wiring sizes/current drop as an example. It can only help to raise the overall standard and awareness of people to have trusted sites with good info.
Downside is it could get quite time consuming and not necessarily lead to increased sales/work leads.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
It might just be me being paranoid, but I find the more I know about a subject the less I want to get involved. There is a lot to be said about blind faith.

Nabsim

Forum Member
It might just be me being paranoid, but I find the more I know about a subject the less I want to get involved. There is a lot to be said about blind faith.
Yes I agree but it’s good that people can understand enough to realise they don’t want to/ can’t tackle a job so get someone who knows what they are doing involved :)

Tookey

Forum Member
I like the idea of an interactive install diagram. As said there are a lot of people who have no clue moving in to vans, some as basic as something to lie on. I think it can only be good if there is somewhere folks can look to see how something should be done, how many times do you see people post to look at certain site for wiring sizes/current drop as an example. It can only help to raise the overall standard and awareness of people to have trusted sites with good info.
Downside is it could get quite time consuming and not necessarily lead to increased sales/work leads.
Absolutely, the self build FB group I visit has 294, 000 members, obviously many are inactive but when you consider that its just one group of many on FB it's an indication of how massively popular self build is presently, any sites that promote safe installs can only be beneficial. Unfortunately someones 'lock down self build' will go up in flames somewhere this summer

........although my biggest concern is the amount I see with the bulkhead removed and a wood burner installed in a unconvincing manner, knives stored on magnetic strips are very popular as well, sure it's fine 99% of the time but makes me uncomfortable

Tookey

Forum Member
An example of why simple sites are important, not very user friendly for the OP. I suspect good advice is there but it is hard to decipher

Last edited:

wildebus

Forum Member
What are your concerns about supplying 'know nothing' clients? Yes, advise pro install but many can't afford it and they will do it themselves wherever they get their advice which could include FB, at least you can be confident your advice is safe.

After further consideration maybe consider doing an intermediate and advanced diagram/walk thru set up as well. Beginners will click on the intermediate set up and think 'oh, I like that gadget, that's cool' and click on Advanced and immediately click the back button!!!

A very simple pro n cons of battery types, again in layman talk would be valuable.

Too many sites think that smothering their most accessible pages in NASA standard kit makes them look all professional and up to date, most punters dont want to be able to check their sine wave (or whatever the advanced stuff does) while out for a walk. As soon as a novice reads two paragraphs in a row that they do not understand many will leave the site. If they are not your target audience you also now know how to get rid of them!!

You ask - "What are your concerns about supplying 'know nothing' clients?"

My answer - "Previous Experiences!"

I should also say that the design service offered does cater for those who maybe have less experience and are looking for more guidence, and I spend hours talking to those customers, but even then a certain level of ability and understanding is still a pre-requisite for a successful installation.

Last edited:

Silver sprinter

Forum Member
Don't know if this will be allowed or I should post it. Years ago there was a wee black box that gave you all the films sports everything. Went for years then virgin came along and blocked it. I said to the guy that supplied them about new different ones. And his reply was he wouldn't go down that route as guys like me who can't work them would be phoning him on a Friday night. And believe me that guy would have been me. So I know whr dave is coming from. While I would tackle a build and cutting out roof or windows and building it the electrics is something my brain can't take in. So would need to be someone else doing it. Dave goes out his way on the 3 forums to help people but as a business that's a different matter. And would end up costing him money for his time if he got someone like me. And could lead to someone giving negative feed back. Where the opposite could be true. Gerry

wildebus

Forum Member
Cheers Gerry, you have pretty well hit the nail on the head.

This is one reason why I very rarely post any advice on Facebook groups as there are so many people on them who literally have not a clue and as soon as you respond you become their personal advisor.
Forums for some reason are a very different animal and forum members seem to generally ask with open minds and consider the answers and options.

trevskoda

Forum Member
Wildbus is correct, over the years of bike/car and boat building i have seen so many have a go wiring jobs that have scared the pants of me.
After reading and doing a new job of setting up an mppt solar regulator in my van, wildbus helped me, others with out a good auto electric background would struggle and could cause a fire through dodgy work or lack of know how, best is to get someone who knows the ropes to do it for you.

Nabsim

Forum Member
The problem is really when you know a bit you forget how difficult something may seem to someone who knows nothing. I always used to use someone with no knowledge to test any new procedures/instructions while working for that reason. In work I was the one who always had to find a solution if there was one so it’s maybe given me skills others don’t have. One of those skills though was getting the appropriate resource to fix something not necessarily trying to fix myself.

I currently have a problem with a plc controller in my van that I have discussed with Dave and will be visiting him to see if he can magic a solution for one lockdowns and Covid allow. I just know that if I did actually spend the time working it all out my solution would not be as good or as neat as Dave’s :)

While I would hate to have to unpick wiring diagrams for more than an odd circuit I find no problem in sorting a b2b or mppt controller. The ones I have used did have decent instructions and diagrams though which is a big help first time.

There would probably be some serious potential liabilities if someone set up a resource and someone got hurt down the line. Not really what you want when trying to help someone for free. Maybe something Dave can look at when he has retired and gets bored :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)