What innovations did you design into your van?

Pudsey Bear

Forum Member
You can get it in plastic so with a bit of wedge cutting on the unseen part & some heat to help it bend I'd think it'd be possible.

Last edited:

MarkJ

Forum Member
The other innovation I've used is tile edging to hide the edge of stretch carpet on doors etc.

That sounds interesting:
Any sort of tile edging?
How is it fixed to the van body, glues or screws?
Can the edging be bent to follow the curves of, for example, the corners of doors etc?
I take my hat off to people who've got the tile edging to look good. I tried and gave up.

In the end I used automotive rubber U-trim. I found a profile that matched the carpet thickness and used it on my sliding door. Superglued it to the door and tucked the carpet in. Here is a closeup of it next to the door surround.

Screenshot 2022-09-09 at 15.09.16.jpg

Squiffy

Forum Member
Sorry Dowel
@Squiffy

From post #2
The other innovation I've used is tile edging to hide the edge of stretch carpet on doors etc.

That sounds interesting:
Any sort of tile edging?
How is it fixed to the van body, glues or screws?
Can the edging be bent to follow the curves of, for example, the corners of doors etc?
Sorry I'm in Biarritz France at the mo and been on the beach enjoying the waves 😁.
You can get various sized tiled edging I use an edge that is just greater than the depth of the stretch carpet, I use evostick contact adhesive to glue it to the metalwork of the doors or where ever. Where there is a bend required I cut the lattice work of the edging down then initially used a ply template of the curve required then heated up gently about 100mm either side of the intended bend with a heat gun (A hair dryer would do the same) and moulded it around the bend and let it cool down, where by the bend stays as is, however I've done it so often now that I don't bother with the ply former. I then contact adhesive the edging and then apply the stretch carpet to about 20mm larger than the area of the edging once glued down I get the back end of a pair of scissor ✂️ and press it under the edge of the tile edging, at which time I get a sharp scalpel and cut the excess carpet away by running the scalpel along the inside edge of the edging. Hey presto you have a clean edge for your stretch carpet. You can use appropriate coloured edging for your colour carpet or even produce conflicting coordinate colours. Simples. Phil

P.s. I'm as I said on holiday and as I wrote this bit Iooked across the van at the carpeting and edging that was done almost 8 years ago and it still looks like it was done yesterday.

Last edited:

trevskoda

Forum Member
A switch and 200ah relay so if I forgot to switch h lights off or something daft I can link hab batts to starter bat to fire the donky up, I also use this to connect all up to the alternator when driving bypassing the old factory split diode sys which was cr-p.

Dowel

Forum Member
@Squiffy

Thanks for your post #23, very clearly explained, I will have a look for plastic tile edging in B&Q or similar.

No need for apology, if I were somewhere as nice I would not be logging in now 👍

Squiffy

Forum Member
@Squiffy

Thanks for your post #23, very clearly explained, I will have a look for plastic tile edging in B&Q or similar.

No need for apology, if I were somewhere as nice I would not be logging in now 👍
I always try to log in every so often Dowel, it's good to keep an ear to the ground 😁.Phil

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)