V5 Motor Caravan

Bouydog

Forum Member
So here goes nothing ? Decided to send off and see what happens. I did intend to do this last year hence the autosleeper decals I stuck on the sides, but never got round to it to busy being away. Now I am getting ready to paint the outside all decals will be removed, so thought why not while it still possibly meets the requirements.
20211008_175455.jpg

Last edited:

Bouydog

Forum Member
I think the detail you missed is that it is registered as a private hgv, not a commercial goods carrying vehicle.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
In the past I’ve had a hgv changed to phgv. Also granted a tachograph exemption. Though it still required a plating certificate and a plate displayed. If the same vehicle was presented for a dvsa test after being converted to a motor home, l expect it would be turned away.

Bouydog

Forum Member
Standard rejection letter received today, apparently permanent external features ( not specified ) missing even though all asked for present.
20211110_125332.jpg

Hey ho, stupid decals removed now in preparation for new paint. And I shall continue to enjoy life in my special mobile unit.😄👍

wildebus

Forum Member
well Dave, you were not surprised, and I don't think we were even though it makes no real sense. Just the usual boilerplate text rejection letter.

wildebus

Forum Member
Just had my rejection for 'external features' too.

Obviously looks nothing like a camper....View attachment 4777
View attachment 4776
I think it is actually possible you are missing on the window count when you go through the checklist and tick off the requirements?

EDIT:
This point here ....
1636628472796.png

Have you got just the one window on both sides?
What people often do with VW Transport Conversions (and this was before this rule came in) was paint the rear upper panel black and fit a glass panel over it so it gave a streamlined look to the exterior but also gave the appearance of windows all along the side.

wildebus

Forum Member
Well apparently even the factory VW Californias don't classify as Motor Caravans in the UK anymore. (but this is not noticed as they start life as M1 MPVs same as my VW Shuttle did).

But like all things motoring in the UK, there is built-in and deliberate ambigiuity (I have an Autotrail Custom Motor Caravan, but that is missing from brand new a key requirement in that it doesn't have a table that is classed as permanent by fixing to the floor or a wall, but just one that is freestanding)

Nabsim

Forum Member
I just don’t understand why they don’t bring in some king of IVA test like you get building trikes or kit cars. Changing a vehicle to a full blown camper is a very heavy modification.
Clear conditions and consistent tests would make it easier for those wanting the motor caravan label

wildebus

Forum Member
I just don’t understand why they don’t bring in some king of IVA test like you get building trikes or kit cars. Changing a vehicle to a full blown camper is a very heavy modification.
Clear conditions and consistent tests would make it easier for those wanting the motor caravan label
I hope not! too much regulations already!

Nabsim

Forum Member
Maybe so but it would give folks buying confidence it was done properly. I may be mistaken but I think at the moment the only advantage to having motor caravan tag is a better selling price isn’t it?

wildebus

Forum Member
Maybe so but it would give folks buying confidence it was done properly. I may be mistaken but I think at the moment the only advantage to having motor caravan tag is a better selling price isn’t it?
Possibly easier insurance (wider selection of willing companies)
Less argument on speeding tickets ('smaller' Motor Caravans automatically have car speeds, non -reclassified becomes a point of contension between owners and police/courts
and yes, increased value as well I would agree.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
We don’t want motor homes going faster, just this evening on our camp we saw one approach a blind corner on the wrong side of the road. Two way traffic and a 15mph speed limit. I’d say it was doing over 30mph.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)