Two conductors one flexible conduit

Chris Evans001

Forum Member
Pulling cables and conduit in the van at the moment.
Something about putting 8.5mm positive and negative thinwall cable into a 20mm flexible conduit run of about 7 metres makes me feel uneasy. Obviously it will be appropriately fused, but still.

Anybody know what the guidance/General feeling is on this? Separate conduits seems a bit excessive... the van looks like Swiss cheese already!

wildebus

Forum Member
Something about putting 8.5mm positive and negative thinwall cable into a 20mm flexible conduit run of about 7 metres makes me feel uneasy. Obviously it will be appropriately fused, but still.

Anybody know what the guidance/General feeling is on this? Separate conduits seems a bit excessive... the van looks like Swiss cheese already!
I know where you are coming from but should be fine. Plenty of instances where twin-core cable is in use after all. What you could do is fuse both +ve AND -ve ends as a precaution?

mistericeman

Forum Member
If the conduit is sufficiently supported/clipped all should be well...

The chances of the wires vibrating enough to damage the conductors will be minimal....
The conduit will prevent the biggest danger to the insulators in terms of physical damage.

Chris Evans001

Forum Member
If the conduit is sufficiently supported/clipped all should be well...

The chances of the wires vibrating enough to damage the conductors will be minimal....
The conduit will prevent the biggest danger to the insulators in terms of physical damage.
Yes they will all be foamed into position in between insulation board.
Glad to hear this. Don't relish the thought of pulling them back out much 👍

Sprinter 1 cup

Forum Member
I use 3/4 wase pipe from plumber and cut down lenght ways ! ? like the corrugated stuff, just pusted 16 wires though the cut for my fuse box. Run. It bends easy with hotair, got the wife for that bit.

wildebus

Forum Member
Always put a few extra wires in to different places as almost always you will require an add on for something down the line.
I quite like using multi-core trailer wire for that. Extra protection from the outer sheath and thick enough gauge for the kind of general purpose uses people need (USB sockets, lighting, etc.).
If running a distance, another handy option is to run a heavier duty cable (say 10mm2 for example) to an additional auxiliary fusebox and run circuits from that to local services.

Squiffy

Forum Member

We built my sons motorhome last year and he purchased thin wall automotive wire for his conversion, I have to say that being old school I was a bit dubious about it, however all the ratings were adhered to I.e. 8amps 20amps etc and even though they seemed far to small a section he has had no problems with wires heating up and so I will be using the same reels that he bought as he bought far too much when doing his, I'll be using it on the Sis in Laws build. Phil

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)