Thule awning leg mounts

Squiffy

Forum Member
In the past I've always avoided these awning leg mounts that are screwed to the van side wall to allow the awning legs to fit into a plastic shoe and allows you to put the awning out when pitched on tarmac/ concrete areas.
I have to say that on the continent in Aires I have often seen motorhome with awnings out and table and chairs with the awning legs attached to their van sides, even though the strict rule is no "Camping" in Aires. (It seems that again there is an EU rule that is ignored by the continentals but obeyed by the majority of Brits). However when I bought the Thule awning I did not fit the plastic shoes that were supplied with the fitting kit, and promptly stored them. During this lock down I decided that maybe I would indeed fit them and make my life easier when pitched on solid ground in breezy conditions, do you think that 6 years later I could find the dammed shoes "No" so I looked on the internet for them folk who were selling Thule accessories were asking £25 pounds for a pair " Sharp intake of breath" eventually found some on ebay for £10 free postage so I sent off for them, when they turned up they were exactly the same as the genuine Thule items. I fitted them and tried them out, it took me all of 20mins tops to fit them and I really wish I had fitted them 6 years ago, it makes a fantastic addition as you can have it fully extended or just 3 feet extended for tight spaces in Aires and not have to worry about the awning taking off in the little windy type thermals that tend to travel through the Aires and other places you might park.
15897275209533470132921578168414.jpg
15897275497928598231829210169217.jpg
15897277577266439190681652717402.jpg
15897277785713468335771112773336.jpg

wildebus

Forum Member
Are you finding they are secure enough screwed into the side panel?
Just wondering as I have had the same dilemma about the van mounted supports and one reason put off is thinking (rightly or wrongly) they need a spreader plate on the inside.
But maybe overthinking it if your setup is nice and solid :)

Squiffy

Forum Member
That was my original worry, however I have glued and screwed as they say and with both types of fixing I feel that the polypropylene plastic mount would give before any damage would occur to the van wall or screws being ripped out. However I would not like to trust it in high to moderate wind conditions but then I would use my tie down straps in a situation like that and then only on a grass pitch. These are really only meant for light winds and thermals that sometimes happen when pitched up in a layby or Aire when parked up for a bite to eat or siesta 😁. Phil

wildebus

Forum Member
I decided to dig mine out to have an 'offer up' to the side.
Can't work out how the Thule Feet go into them actually? are they sprung-loaded?

The above is just a curisity question TBH, as although I have Thule brackets, I have a Fiamma awning :D
So I think will fit a pair of the Fiamma Brackets I have maybe this weekend (right now I have dropped the awning down as it is so windy! not put it away though as loads of bird droppings on it in last few days so want to wash it)

Squiffy

Forum Member
I decided to dig mine out to have an 'offer up' to the side.
Can't work out how the Thule Feet go into them actually? are they sprung-loaded?

The above is just a curisity question TBH, as although I have Thule brackets, I have a Fiamma awning :D
So I think will fit a pair of the Fiamma Brackets I have maybe this weekend (right now I have dropped the awning down as it is so windy! not put it away though as loads of bird droppings on it in last few days so want to wash it)
The fiamma brackets are totally different Dave, the Thule brackets the outside slides up the leg foot is then inserted bottom first then top pushes home after that slide outer case back down and this locks the foot in place securely. Phil

Squiffy

Forum Member
By the way Dave if they are genuinely Thule brackets dont give them away cheap they are £25 for the pair.🤪Phil

wildebus

Forum Member
By the way Dave if they are genuinely Thule brackets dont give them away cheap they are £25 for the pair.🤪Phil
need a spare pair? ;) They are the genuine real mcCoy. Got them with my Thule Professional cassette awning but never fitted them for all the usual reasons.

Just looking at my Fiamma Brackets right now as it happens.... The rear plastic part assumes quite a thick wall that the bracket fits onto, doesn't it.
I wonder if using rivnuts rather than self-tapping screws might be best if cannot get to the back of the panel?

Squiffy

Forum Member
Really I dont feel that if you use sealant adhesive and self tappers its necessary to go over the top with fixings, as I mentioned if someone has an awning out in anything other than a light breeze without hold downs then they are asking for it. I remember about 10 years ago we were in Florence in a youth hostel campsite it was fantastic weather and that evening we were sat out in the heat of the evening with my wife and 20 year old daughter ( We had the Swift Sundance 630L then) my wife went to bed about 11 and my daughter about midnight, I eventually finished up a bottle of red and decided to go to bed, I looked at the night sky and thought hell I'll leave the awning out for the morning breakfast, during the night it hammered down and I mean tropical. We all woke up to a horrendous crashing sound, I thought that a branch from a big pine that we were pitched under had crashed onto the roof of the van, so I stood on the bed and opened the heki and looked out onto the roof, nothing was seen so we went back to bed, in the morning I went to open hab door and could only open it about 6 inches something was stopping it from opening, so I went to the passenger door and got out that way, the awning had ripped out of the side of the van leaving a hole about a foot long in the side at the rear and the rest had collapsed over the cab door. On the bright side the weather that morning was hot still and Mediterranean with crickets singing their little hearts out, as an aside to this when I phoned Saga later that morning they were brilliant told me to dispose of the awning responsibly and said they would arrange replacement and repair when we were back in UK after asking if we were able to continue our holiday. Moral of this story is I have never since left the awning up when going to bed or out for the day or if its more than moderately windy. 😌 Phil

Nabsim

Forum Member
I haven’t fitted mine yet as by eye one wants to be where the gas locker door is. Now yours are on and you have used them do you think they would be okay at a higher level?

Squiffy

Forum Member
For full extension and partial extension to a point yes, best way is to get someone to hold the opposite leg from the gas inlet with awning fully extended then wind the canopy in decreasing the gas inlet leg in lenght holding it up to the side of the van till the angle gets to difficult for the canopy/leg position, (you will know what I'm talking about when you try it) a lot will depend on what van you have, a photo of where you intend to put the mounting would be of help.

wildebus

Forum Member
Think I might fit my side supports today :)
I was going to take my awning back in today (got a caravanstore and it is more work to deploy/pack than the cassette ones so tend to leave it out unless the weather is baaaaad!)

As an aside, if you have a Caravanstore, the side mounts are meant to allow you to roll out part-way and secure - usually you have to do a full rollout for the side arms.

Squiffy

Forum Member
This is where I have fitted mine on a Ducato, I've seen commercial companies fit them this hieght as well.

15910898573888458682849289495711.jpg

I think I could quite safely get away fitting them about six inches higher, dont forget the legs are adjustable so one side could be appreciably higher than the other they dont have to be attached at the same height.

Nabsim

Forum Member
My moho is built on a Sprinter chassis cab, if the door handle height is within 6 or so inches of your van then where I was looking is about the same height.

6FD78793-8EE3-469E-94E6-1D3357171B5C.jpeg

Squiffy

Forum Member
If it was my choice I would go for it, but as previously mentioned do not use them in moderate or high winds🙃. Phil

Li Harris

Forum Member
Thank you for your article and great photos

I finally know how to put on the Thurle Leg Backets on the side of our van. I couldn't figure out which side to have facing up. Your photo showed me nicely.

Best,

Liam

Last edited:

JIXAMAN

Forum Member
I have the Fiamma F45 but dont have the leg holders on the van yet... Ahm just too nervous about the awning, ah mean we have the awning with privacy room, ah brace the legs with 2x2 (a gypsy trick ah saw in Germany) side beams, rafter brace, the works and use some quite mental ground anchors and ratchet straps but seriously dont trust it in the wind to the point ah just bring it in if it looks like its going to be bad while others round just leave them out... Then again, ah had an awning blow over and destroy itself at Glan y Gors on a racing weekend, scarred for life ah think to the point that when we go a trip with the van ah just take the 3 x 4.5m awning and pitch it against the van like at a race weekend, know what ahm doing with it and feel safer with it and to be honest its like a house sized living space... F45 just for a sunshade for a short stop, even then its strapped down...

Squiffy

Forum Member
Nope not fitted mine . Just got leg extenders and the strap legs to grass surface.
Trouble for me is that when travelling on the continent especially in France, most Aires are tarmac areas and on a hot windless day its good to put out the Awning 1/4 to its full width (Depending on space available) and have a bit of shade. But every so often even on windless days some very heavy thermals can whip through and take you by surprise. Hence the side wall leg clamps become very useful. 😄 Phil.

Sprinter 1 cup

Forum Member
Sand bags or what stall holders use water bottles !!
Mine is 2.5m so not that bothered.
I'm looking for the lightest roll out 4.5 / 5 meter one lenght ? Some are proper thin ( arodienamic )
but want 6m roll out. Second hand / recycling of course. I think I would fit that to the side

MatijaSever

Forum Member
Sand bags or what stall holders use water bottles !!
Mine is 2.5m so not that bothered.tabletop miniatures
I'm looking for the lightest roll out 4.5 / 5 meter one lenght ? https://sharpedgeshop.com/collections/bunka-knives-multi-purpose Some are proper thin ( arodienamic )
but want 6m roll out. Second hand / recycling of course. I think I would fit that to the side
Ah, the eternal quest for the perfect roll-out, arodynamic, second-hand awning! The stall holders' water bottle trick might work in a pinch, but let's face it, we need something a bit more substantial for your 2.5-meter wonder.

Finding that 4.5/5-meter roll-out might feel like searching for the Holy Grail, but worry not, for your recycling instincts shall guide you to the ideal solution. Keep your eyes peeled for the lightest and most arodienamic (yes, we made up that word!) option in the second-hand market.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)