The longest paint job.

Bouydog

Forum Member
Back in late September I decided the time had come to tackle repainting the the bus, first step was to etch primer the bare aluminium hab door and side panel I had installed.
20211006_131351.jpg

And that was as far as it got the weather was good places to go so we did.
It got to November before I restarted removed all decals sanded the whole of the body some minor repairs.
20211109_095838.jpg
20211108_123155.jpg

All of our neighbours wondering why they all now had blue cars 😄. I had decided to roller paint using satin finish military vehicle enamel paint. End of November I became ill and remained so till mid January.
I had the paint.
20211110_101034.jpg

But it was very cold and damp by now and I have to do this outside on the drive. So while I was ill and looking at it through the window every day I hatched a plan.

Bouydog

Forum Member
I decided to remove every panel that I could do final prep and paint them in the garage where I could control the temperature.
20220125_150958.jpg
20220116_134212.jpg

With the bottom panels off I set about painting the first one, I will point out that I have not done this before. Plenty of people have done this and there's plenty of info available particularly on the type of roller to use, 4 inch hard foam conical ends. So did the first panel and could not believe the amount of bubbles on the surface, thought OK let it dry see what happens it dried with a bumpy snake skin type effect. I sanded it all off repainted thinned the paint, hotter colder 5 times no difference. So phoned the paint manufacturer explained how I was doing it and the result. He asked about the roller told him high density foam he said that's where the bubbles are coming from I should be using a short mohair roller. Now I know a few people who have used the foam roller with no problems the only difference I can think is they all used matt paint I am using satin finish. Sure enough did the same panel again the way the guy said hey presto a finish I am happy with.
20220116_134351.jpg
20220116_134336.jpg

So considering it's my first time I think it looks OK.
20220125_151019.jpg

20220125_150856.jpg

So once I have finished the bottom panels I will be able to remove most of the front end and paint that inside as well, I will post when that is done. Then for the rest I will be waiting for better weather maybe March 🤞 hence the longest paint job 🙃.

Attachments

• 20220116_134320.jpg
    20220116_134320.jpg
    963.8 KB · Views: 162

Bouydog

Forum Member
Overall I am pleased so far, that bottom colour is blue grey the other colour will be silver grey with various divisions and if I get really confident maybe a stripe !! So no camo this time 😄

Millie Master

Forum Member
Overall I am pleased so far, that bottom colour is blue grey the other colour will be silver grey with various divisions and if I get really confident maybe a stripe !! So no camo this time 😄

You are doing a top notch job and you ought to be proud of yourself (y)

trevskoda

Forum Member
Proper etch is 2 pack and almost clear with a slight yellow tinge,top coat should be 2 pack polyurethan, can be rolled or sprayed with a gravity gun, 40psi and about 14 cfm compressor, many folk years back used coach paints, mine could do with a repaint sometime soon.

Greggbear67

Forum Member
I decided to remove every panel that I could do final prep and paint them in the garage where I could control the temperature.
View attachment 5063View attachment 5064
With the bottom panels off I set about painting the first one, I will point out that I have not done this before. Plenty of people have done this and there's plenty of info available particularly on the type of roller to use, 4 inch hard foam conical ends. So did the first panel and could not believe the amount of bubbles on the surface, thought OK let it dry see what happens it dried with a bumpy snake skin type effect. I sanded it all off repainted thinned the paint, hotter colder 5 times no difference. So phoned the paint manufacturer explained how I was doing it and the result. He asked about the roller told him high density foam he said that's where the bubbles are coming from I should be using a short mohair roller. Now I know a few people who have used the foam roller with no problems the only difference I can think is they all used matt paint I am using satin finish. Sure enough did the same panel again the way the guy said hey presto a finish I am happy with.
View attachment 5065View attachment 5066
So considering it's my first time I think it looks OK.View attachment 5068
View attachment 5069
So once I have finished the bottom panels I will be able to remove most of the front end and paint that inside as well, I will post when that is done. Then for the rest I will be waiting for better weather maybe March 🤞 hence the longest paint job 🙃.

Painted my bus by hand, industrial skip paint & a small foam roller, but played it on with the roller, then brush finished it with a 4 ins brush. That took the bubble effect off, & didn't look at all bad....

wildebus

Forum Member
How does the finish generally compare to spraying (either with a gun or aerosol?). Curious as I have never 'rolled' a vehicle, but have sprayed - waterbased, solvent and cellulose.

Bouydog

Forum Member
I think the finish is acceptable, it is not as good as a well done spray job would be but for my first time roller painting I am surprised that the finish is as good as it is. It would be easier in the summer or undercover, hopefully I can keep the finish level going to the end. Doing it this way it's easy to redo any bits I am not happy with.

Millie Master

Forum Member
How does the finish generally compare to spraying (either with a gun or aerosol?). Curious as I have never 'rolled' a vehicle, but have sprayed - waterbased, solvent and cellulose.
I have a close friend who has just fully rebuilt a 1949 Series 1 to top show standards and quite amazingly he roller painted the entire beauty!

wildebus

Forum Member
Cellulose went out with nelsons eye, use industrial 2 pack poly, the best shine is International, but it is easy to run, I preefair juton or Sigma.
If you are looking for a simple to use product and don't need a concours finish, I find Cellulose ideal. No mixing, no lacquer needed on top. Job's a good 'un
Case in point - my VW T4, originally painted by VW in a flat 'Friesan Green'. At 15 years old (the van, not me!), I repainted certain bits that are shown in this photo in Cellulose. Can you spot which is new and and which is repainted?

image_21 by David, on Flickr

Millie Master

Forum Member
If you are looking for a simple to use product and don't need a concours finish, I find Cellulose ideal. No mixing, no lacquer needed on top. Job's a good 'un
Case in point - my VW T4, originally painted by VW in a flat 'Friesan Green'. At 15 years old (the van, not me!), I repainted certain bits that are shown in this photo in Cellulose. Can you spot which is new and and which is repainted?

image_21 by David, on Flickr

Dave was that with a roller or spray gun? Excellent finish and a metallic as well (y)(y)

Phil

wildebus

Forum Member
Dave was that with a roller or spray gun? Excellent finish and a metallic as well (y)(y)

Phil
Cheers. Used a DeVilbiss SRiPro Spray Gun and compressor. Finish was good and the colour match was really spot on (I go to a company where they mix the colours while you wait and can compare against the vehicle - the raw colour codes can be quite dubious (especially with white!)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)