Solar 12 V / 5 V and Split Charging ?

RAW

Forum Member
Good Evening One and All (if you are not reading this in the evening, then good whatever time of day to you too !!)

If there is a split charging for Leisure and Engine Batteries in the Van / RV and no Solar then if Fitting a Solar Panel which one would you do and why ?
1) Take MPPT from Solar and feed a seperate Circuit and seperate Battery(ies) 12V
2) Take MPPT from Solar and take feed to existing Leisure Battery only 12V
3) Do a combination of 1 and 2
4) Create a seperate 5/6V circuit with 6V Batteries charged from MPPT and Solar

Thanks in Advance for replies
Robert

wildebus

Forum Member
#4 - I would forget that idea totally
#3 - Can't see any value in this.
#2 - The usual way
#1 - Overcomplicating the setup

#2 is the usual way and it is the usual way as it suits the significant majority of users and is much easier for the user to utilize.
If you did #1 you would end up being able to use different circuits depending on time of year, weather, length of driving, length of being camped up, as all those factors would result in the different batteries getting different types of charge. I know some people like the idea of being able to have a 'spare' battery in their van and swapping it over as need be during a trip, but I don't get the rational. (The only time I think a separate battery is a good idea is if you have a 'mission critical' need which must have power above all else, say like a CPAP machine or medicine that needs to be kept at a certain temp).

RAW

Forum Member
That's great thanks
Would there be any value in adding an additional leisure battery, or would that just over complicate matters do you think?
So from my thinking (electrical knowledge is minimal really) as it stands there is a 12V Leisure battery being charged via Alternator Split Charge, if the Solar Controller could feed two batteries then I could add the second leisure battery into the existing 12V supply somehow to come into action when the First leisure battery was getting low ?
Cheers
Robert

wildebus

Forum Member
That's great thanks
Would there be any value in adding an additional leisure battery, or would that just over complicate matters do you think?
So from my thinking (electrical knowledge is minimal really) as it stands there is a 12V Leisure battery being charged via Alternator Split Charge, if the Solar Controller could feed two batteries then I could add the second leisure battery into the existing 12V supply somehow to come into action when the First leisure battery was getting low ?
Cheers
Robert
I would hold off buying a new battery until you've had tried the van for a little while. You may find the existing battery is adequate. You may also find the existing battery has had it and needs replacing (and this will influence what battery/s to get).
You can add a second battery in parallel with the first so both get used together and both get charged together - that really is the most straightforward way for both installation AND using.
Usually you would want a battery bank to be charged by the Split Charge AND by the solar. If you had one for split charge and one for solar, you would end up with a very complicated setup with no real benefit. Honestly, it is not worth it.

wildebus

Forum Member
Dear Wildebus,

I have been looking in your store and found this:
https://wildebus.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=67
Useful
It says though you can supply a three CBE Module Holder and Cover so what I would like is the above with three Holes and Cover plus this
http://wildebus.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=66_61&product_id=59

Could you do me an invoice for that through PayPal and I will pay you ?
Cheers
Robert
If you just get those two via the store, I can swap the 2-way CBE Frame and Cover with a 3-way version for the same price no problem. (just add a wee note to remind me).
Cheers.

RAW

Forum Member
I would hold off buying a new battery until you've had tried the van for a little while. You may find the existing battery is adequate. You may also find the existing battery has had it and needs replacing (and this will influence what battery/s to get).
You can add a second battery in parallel with the first so both get used together and both get charged together - that really is the most straightforward way for both installation AND using.
Usually you would want a battery bank to be charged by the Split Charge AND by the solar. If you had one for split charge and one for solar, you would end up with a very complicated setup with no real benefit. Honestly, it is not worth it.

Thanks for the information. That is very helpful

RAW

Forum Member
If you just get those two via the store, I can swap the 2-way CBE Frame and Cover with a 3-way version for the same price no problem. (just add a wee note to remind me).
Cheers.
I have just placed an order with your store. Thanks :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)