Sodium Ion Battery Bank ?

RAW

Forum Member
Not much use at 3.1v
Each cell is 3.1 V and you put 4 together to get a 12.4V Nominal Battery
That's 4x1 S
a 24V Battery would be 4x2s S

Then you also need a Battery Cell balancer to throw in the mix, which adds to the price, although some are included in that listing URL i sent

Merl

Forum Member
Has anyone got any experience ? I saw this on AliExpress and thought it wasn't too bad a price ?
They do look like the way forward but not yet unfortunately.
I've not gone into them massively but it seems the big disadvantage with them is the discharge voltage which drops off quite badly and continuously as they discharge. So yes those cells may well give you 200A for an hour but a vast amount of that energy will be released at an unpractically low voltage, eg your inverter will soon go into low voltage cut off. Don't think they'll catch on until we see the introduction of power boosters that are able to give a constant 12V output from a wide voltage input range at high current, or a range of 'sodium compatible' electronics is introduced.
You could of course just use the 'top 1/3rd of the battery capacity but you'd then need 3 batteries to give the same capacity and spend 3 times as much money!

Nabsim

Forum Member
The German guy that does the Off-Grid Garage Youtube channel has done a couple of videos on them. From what he has found they are never going to be the battery of choice for vehicles, more of a home application. Cant remember the reason now but if you watch his vids you won't need to put up with me typing the wrong things :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)