Seating and Sleeping setup (MH2) - complete - Regal Upholstery

wildebus

Forum Member
It really is a grey area as said. The way some of the regs are written, you can read them as saying that passenger seat belts are only required on seats that were fitted when the vehicle was first made - and if you ADD seating it is exempt.

The way I look at it is I don't really want to had some lump of a human whacking into me in an accident, or mop up the blood and guts of someone rolling around the place, so base my letting passengers ride on that :D

Squiffy

Forum Member
Dave I really do understand your reticence but my view is it should be a free choice, too many rules and regulations are being pushed on us from all sorts of supposedly experts in their field. If I decide I want to ride my motorcycles without a helmet it should surely be my choice not somebody else. The usual thing bought up is the amount of deaths and injuries these regulations save, plus the amount of facilities the NHS save. Well I have payed my dues to the NHS, Government taxes and all the rest of the taxes rained from on high, so if I want to take a possible chance on my life so be it. In the late sixties and through the seventies I risked my life daily in the armed forces (Army,) that was my choice to join knowing the risks, I don't recall any so called expert stopping me from risking my life. 😡 Phil

wildebus

Forum Member
Dave I really do understand your reticence but my view is it should be a free choice, too many rules and regulations are being pushed on us from all sorts of supposedly experts in their field. If I decide I want to ride my motorcycles without a helmet it should surely be my choice not somebody else. The usual thing bought up is the amount of deaths and injuries these regulations save, plus the amount of facilities the NHS save. Well I have payed my dues to the NHS, Government taxes and all the rest of the taxes rained from on high, so if I want to take a possible chance on my life so be it. In the late sixties and through the seventies I risked my life daily in the armed forces (Army,) that was my choice to join knowing the risks, I don't recall any so called expert stopping me from risking my life. 😡 Phil
Maybe you misunderstood my reply?
What I was trying to say was that it doesn't matter to me what the regulations say about allowing travel without belts, MY own choice would be not to have unsecured passengers in MY vehicle for a journey of any significant distance. And if they didn't want to agree to that, they can find another ride.
What others decide to do in THEIR vehicles is up to them and nothing to do with me unless it impacts me (such as drink-driving or other dangerous driving actions)

Squiffy

Forum Member
As I said Dave it should be left to individual choice, I wouldn't dream of placing any of my many grand children in jeopardy but any over 18 should be able to decide if they want to chance their lives by flying, skiing,diving driving,riding a horse (Very risky) or indeed any other thing they want to do. To be pedantic what I'm saying is I'm pulling what should be the "Right of any human to make there own decision as to risking their OWN life" but of course not risking others lives, saying that you are risking the lives of the rescue services is not valid point as they also have already made a life choice and joined those services as I did knowing the risks and what to expect. I realise that I am in the minority and possibly seen as a dinosaur to most, I'm just pleased to have lived at least the first half of my life without "Nanny" looking over my shoulder, maybe instead I've had a guardian Angel instead. 😄.Phil

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
People are generally stupid, you need rules to control the chaos that would ensue without them.
That said, many I don’t agree with.

I knew a lad from school, I didn’t really like him. His dream was to be a HGV driver. You have to start somewhere, so he had a delivery job with a panel van. On one of his runs a tractor pulled out on him. His load of unsecured frozen chickens killed him. It upsets me to this day.

I personally think it’s better not to have seat belts than fit them yourself with no understanding of the loads generated in a crash.

trevskoda

Forum Member
I am still not clear in my mind as to the exact ruling on side facing seats, as far as I can determine side facing seats without seat belt restraints for travelling are still legal but frowned upon, for all the legal speak and the police plus others would like to cloud the issue by saying it is illegal to travel using them. From what I have determined only adults (18+) can use them and it is left to the discretion of the police officer who stops the vehicle for whatever reason to decide if the seat is built to a standard which would not collapse in the case of a road traffic accident. This then would fall into the category of the attending police officer would have to be trained in vehicle use and construction. I have in the past taken family members all over 18 on trips using the rear side facing seats, I wouldn't want to have to test my theory but if stopped I would definitely fight it in court if charged though even that is not clear, as if over 18 the seat user seems to be solely responsible for their actions and not the driver. When you all go looking in vehicle use and construction and any other legal documentation you will see just how nebulous the wording is, unless of course I've missed a paragraph that clearly states that the use of side facing seats is definitely illegal under any circumstances. Phil
Your ins co will decline cover,even the army dont use them in jeeps anymore, and would you risk a flying adult in a crash, at 30mph they weigh the same as a baby elephant,and thats the skinny ones lol.

Squiffy

Forum Member
It's still a life choice Trevor, that you no longer have, what is the next thing you will have no power over, restriction to 1 can or bottle of beer a week maybe. Phil

Nabsim

Forum Member
My insurance company asked me how many belted seats, when I said 2 that’s what they covered it as. Suited me at the time as I didn’t want to take anyone else with us lol
I can probably get it changed to more with a different insurance company

trevskoda

Forum Member
It's still a life choice Trevor, that you no longer have, what is the next thing you will have no power over, restriction to 1 can or bottle of beer a week maybe. Phil
Some things have to be done to protect ourselves and others, mind you no seat belts on m/bikes as yet.
I witnessed a two car head on many years ago, one chap not wearing a belt was out through the screen and well down the road, both legs wear broken and his face was like a busted tomato, chap in other car with a belt was in a much better place though very dazed.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)