Renault Master Double Swivel Seat

DnK

Forum Member
Has anyone done a double swivel seat on a Renault Master? I'm in progress with a 2017 LWB H2 build and thought I would be able to find a double swivel but apparently there does not seem to be one manufactured. It may/should be possible to modify one thats manufactured for another vehicle BUT at £250 ish I would'nt want to buy one to modify if it ain't gonna be suitable or is a major rework. Anyone know which version would be easiest to modify?

Millie Master

Forum Member
I am sorry I can't help you, however I have seen double swivels fitted to these iconic vans but where they came from, heaven knows.......... I will start searching

Phil

Tookey

Forum Member

Sorry but haven't got the time just now to check it can be used for a double

Millie Master

Forum Member
I have now asked around on 3 different Renault Master facebook groups where several have suggested using a Traffic double swivel and have a 30mm fabrication added to it.... this was one comment I received to the question I posted "Buy one for a Traffic use the spacers and bolts from one to you will need to take it to a fabricator and get about 30mm add on but there not that far out" .

This was a company suggested, however it looks like they don't do a double swivel for the Master/Movano, but it might be worth your while asking @DnK https://www.kiravans.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhsGH84qn7AIVGevtCh1SjQ4zEAAYASAAEgKzY_D_BwE

There surely must be someone out there who makes them as the Master/Movano/Nissan?? are on of the largest selling panel vans in Europe.

Phil

wildebus

Forum Member

I think I can probably save you the time ;)

No.

The single seat swivels are simple because the seat base is basically square. At the very worst, when turning you have to clear the steering wheel (adjust the backrest when turning) and clear the handbrake (release when turning).

The Double Swivels are more complex because while turning the rectangular double seat, you have a lot more obstacles to clear such as the dashboard and B Pillar. The Double Swivel for the VW Transporters have a awkward to & fro sliding type system as well as a rotating mechanism to achieve the 180 degree turn-round.

Something some people do is take a more basic approach to this requirement ... simply unbolt the seat, lift and turn and then a couple of nuts back in place to secure for seating on. That actually does not take that long to do (20 mins or less I would say).

Reactions: DnK

wildebus

Forum Member
I have now asked around on 3 different Renault Master facebook groups where several have suggested using a Traffic double swivel and have a 30mm fabrication added to it.... this was one comment I received to the question I posted "Buy one for a Traffic use the spacers and bolts from one to you will need to take it to a fabricator and get about 30mm add on but there not that far out" .

This was a company suggested, however it looks like they don't do a double swivel for the Master/Movano, but it might be worth your while asking @DnK https://www.kiravans.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhsGH84qn7AIVGevtCh1SjQ4zEAAYASAAEgKzY_D_BwE

There surely must be someone out there who makes them as the Master/Movano/Nissan?? are on of the largest selling panel vans in Europe.

Phil
Yup, very big selling panel van, but a much smaller conversion market then virtually all their competitor products.
On top of that, a large majority of conversions will have a pair of single seats rather than a double passenger, so the demand for a double swivel is I reckon tiny.
Then when sold as a commercial product, need the various crash and engineering tests carried out which is expensive for the manufacturer.

I think they may be made by the same people who make Rocking Horse nappies ....

DnK

Forum Member
I am sorry I can't help you, however I have seen double swivels fitted to these iconic vans but where they came from, heaven knows.......... I will start searching

Phil
Cheers. I've googled to death and cant find a manufactured one.

DnK

Forum Member

At that size it wouldn't be substantial enough for a double seat. Thanks anyway.

DnK

Forum Member

Phil
Thank you very much for this I did wonder if the Trafic one would be suitable. I'll try to get a look at a Trafic to see how far off it is fitting and what will be needed to make it fit before purchasing.

DnK

Forum Member
Yup, very big selling panel van, but a much smaller conversion market then virtually all their competitor products.
On top of that, a large majority of conversions will have a pair of single seats rather than a double passenger, so the demand for a double swivel is I reckon tiny.
Then when sold as a commercial product, need the various crash and engineering tests carried out which is expensive for the manufacturer.

I think they may be made by the same people who make Rocking Horse nappies ....
Agree what you are saying. Was hoping to get a crash tested one, maybe the Trafic one with a good modification will be a safe solution.

Tookey

Forum Member
LONG shot here;

My rear seats the seat can lift up and becomes the back and the back then drops down to become the seat and you swap the head rests round.

I suspect of no use to you as sourcing this type of seat would be harder than a suitable swivel. Although a better design for a double rather than a swivel imo, nothing in the way and takes roughly 20 seconds and leaves more space

With the popularity of campers going thru the roof maybe this is how I can make my millions :LOL:

Last edited:

mark61

Forum Member
Cheers. I've googled to death and cant find a manufactured one.

You may have already tried, but may be worth translating into German and searching on google.de
Occasionally opens up a whole new world.

DnK

Forum Member
Seems the bolt down width for Master is the same as the Trafic, but front to back is 55mm larger centres on Master so a bit of fabrication would be need to make this fit. Renault Trafic

DnK

Forum Member
Update:

Probable reason theres not one available is because of the seat base shape having an angled end to avoid contact with the seat belt roll on the B pillar. If it were swivelled then that end would hit the handbrake because the pivot point would not be the centre of the seat but the centre of the offset seat base. So have abandoned double swivel and have replaced the double seat with a single with swivel. At least now we will get from cab to rear without having to get out of the van and enter via sliding door. The next challenge is finding a fair priced second hand camper version of the handbrake that allows a swivel driver seat Renault part no. 8200688671 £300+ new or Vauxhall Movano 8200727562

Update: Video of whats needed to allow a driver seat swivel: Camper folding handbrake lever

Last edited:

Nabsim

Forum Member
The build card for my van says it is fitted with a folding handbrake but it doesn't look folding to me (Sprinter based).

wildebus

Forum Member
What I do is just put the van in gear, lower the handbrake so it clears the swivel and then pull it up again after swivelling. Takes seconds and becomes second nature in the same way as you need to maybe adjust the seat base position and back rake to clear the steering wheel

DnK

Forum Member
What I do is just put the van in gear, lower the handbrake so it clears the swivel and then pull it up again after swivelling.

Driver seat with swivel wont clear the handbrake lever even when in off position on Mk3 Master/Movano/NV400 - the part no's are a "camper" option for the Mk2 that also fit the Mk3

DnK

Forum Member
That's new to me!

Yeah took some googling to find that out plus my brother is a Mechanic and has checked with our local Renault dealer. It's an expensive option along with the swivel to have a rotating driver seat. We're going to look at modifying an original by lowering it in height although that could make it difficult to reach when needed while driving.

Update: Modifying an original is not a viable option. If you want a swivel driver seat you will have to bite the bullet and buy the expensive option camper handbrake. Best price i've had £277.16. Still debating if to bother!

Last edited:

Andrew Mason

Forum Member
DnK, my 2005 Master has swivel driver seat on one of those combined safe/seat bases with standard handbrake and it can swivel. Have to move seat back / forwards and tip back rest as far forward as possible to clear the steering wheel but can get there.
Image with seat removed - not a brilliant picture but may help.
IMG_20200419_125012.jpg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)