Question on Vans with Caravans built on....

caferacer51

As in the title really?
Every now and then one comes up on eBay. For example, a Ford transit tipper as a base with a caravan mounted on the back and the two mated together by various means.

a) Has anyone on here built one with a build thread?
b) What do people call them? I've Googled a million different things, but generally if you type things similar to 'van' and 'caravan' you just get pics of Transits towing caravans...

Any help?
Thanks.

invalid

Usually called ugly!
Or oh my god!
If you want people to think you are a new age traveller that’s the way to go.
:lol-061:

n brown

Forum Member
all a matter of perception of course. there are some really badly done bodge ups,there's a few round here- wouldn't get on a c&c site but i doubt they care, more concerned about being warm and dry i expect,
and a lot of modern motorhomes, while looking nice and shiny, are built in the same cost-cutting, weight-saving way as a caravan, just a different shape, so putting one on a flatbed or chassis cab isn't much of a leap ,especially when you realise that early Eriba and Airstream m/homes were built exactly like that, and i'd love one of either !
so i reckon it's a good money saving idea,and buying a caravan all ready fitted with working appliances and a good interior means you could get the equivalent of a 40-50 grand m/home for a fraction of the price.

hairydog

a lot of modern motorhomes, while looking nice and shiny, are built in the same cost-cutting, weight-saving way as a caravan, just a different shape,
That's true, but a lot are not. For example, Hymer motorhomes are more solidly built with thicker insulation than the equivalent caravans made by the same company. I guess that weight saving is less of a priority.

Deleted member 36

That's true, but a lot are not. For example, Hymer motorhomes are more solidly built with thicker insulation than the equivalent caravans made by the same company. I guess that weight saving is less of a priority.

an example
Try walking on the roof of a caravan:scared: not recommended

Deleted member 36

Like the last link:wacko:

Getting back to thread, I suppose, by the time you buy a pick up and get the caravan, you could buy an old Hymer which should be well built, and probably more water tight than most old UK caravans

molly 2

Banjo Billy Loyd has a fine example , not sure if he is on the forum now but he has videos on you tube ,a great musician and singer .

GreggBear

As in the title really?
Every now and then one comes up on eBay. For example, a Ford transit tipper as a base with a caravan mounted on the back and the two mated together by various means.

a) Has anyone on here built one with a build thread?
b) What do people call them? I've Googled a million different things, but generally if you type things similar to 'van' and 'caravan' you just get pics of Transits towing caravans...

Any help?
Thanks.

Dunno if it helps but every time I go to Scarborough there is a crew cab transit with a caravan adapted to sit on the back. usually parked near the harbour end of Marine Drive or behind the blue and yellow pound shop. Looks ok too if a little top heavy.:hammer::cool1::cool1:

wildman

Usually called ugly!
Or oh my god!
If you want people to think you are a new age traveller that’s the way to go.
:lol-061:
and what is wrong with being a newage/oldage traveller:lol-049::lol-049:
People build what they can afford to build, elitism has no place on this forum.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)