Phew!!

wildebus

Forum Member
Cor! That's cheap I'll have two of them. 🤣. Phil
Actually it is. Remember it is 100Ah@48V. If you are comparing prices against 12V batteries to make a 48V bank. You would need 4 X 100Ah 12V batteries, so factor in finding batteries under £400 each even if you ignore the other bits and pieces in that rack kit.

Pudsey Bear

Forum Member
That's how I worked it out David. I wasn't sure how you'd get it to work with 12v systems but figured you might/would.

I searched for the ones in this video from one of the channels I watch a lot, and he looks after vintage busses and coaches converted to RVs.

wildebus

Forum Member
That's how I worked it out David. I wasn't sure how you'd get it to work with 12v systems but figured you might/would.

I searched for the ones in this video from one of the channels I watch a lot, and he looks after vintage busses and coaches converted to RVs.

A 48V system in a Motorhome is pefectly feasible and can make sense.
Generally, 12V loads are small. But if you use inverters for things like Microwaves, Induction hobs, etc, the 240V AC loads are high (there is more and more interest in Gas-free Motorhomes with the advent of affordable Lithium setups).
So you have your higher-voltage Battery bank with 48V chargers and a 48V Inverter (much lower DC currents = less losses and cheaper/lighter cabling) and a DC-DC converter for the Regular 12V hab electrics. Job done.
I have a standard 12V Battery setup, but I still have a DC-DC converter for the hab electrics. It is a 12V-12V one to provide a regulated 12V supply, but it could just as easily be a 48V-12V one if I had a 48V battery.

I would probably personally got for a 24V battery rather than 48V as there is a much wider range of chargers and converters and you can still get a benefit from the higher voltage, but 48V is technically better though (I just like flexibility of product choice).
Squirrelcook runs a 24V leisure battery system with a 24V Victron Multiplus.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)