Not a self building question, but one for the electrical guru's

Millie Master

Forum Member
Not a self building question, but one for the electrical guru's of this wonderful place.

I hope to be buying a hybrid vehicle in the next few weeks and am looking to install a 32A wall charging hook up point, but with so many out there and having as always a very tight budget, which one should I be looking for?

I will be signing up to a Octopus GO and so ideally I believe I will be needing some kind of timing function unless that is the new smart meter takes care of turning on the hook up point at 0030 hrs. and turns it off again at 0430 hrs.

Many thanks for your learned advice.

Phil

Nabsim

Forum Member
I'm fearful of the idea of a smart meter. The longer I can avoid it the better. I think many houses will end up with battery back ups for when your supplier disconnects you from the grid. :(
I wasn’t impressed that Mrs said she is getting one installed this week :(

wildebus

Forum Member
I'm fearful of the idea of a smart meter. The longer I can avoid it the better. I think many houses will end up with battery back ups for when your supplier disconnects you from the grid. :(
Bunch of Luddites!

I've not got one either and am wary of them, not least as when I tried to change supplier one time, I found the meter serial number in my house was registered to another property! at least with a physical reading and a dumb meter, it is harder to get someone elses bill. What is the probabilty that with a smart meter, someone swaps the ID of it with the one in the local weed factory and you end up with rather large bills :)

MarkJ

Forum Member
which one should I be looking for
I've got a Volvo on order. Volvo originally had a deal with Newmotion to install charging points, but their lead times extended massively and so with Volvo's support I switched to Pod Point. They are installing next week.

Another factor with the choice is where you recharge if you're out and about. Pod Point seem to have a more extensive network than many. I realise that there is electrical compatibility amongst the makes, but many require you to have an account and/or their own app. Just one more aggravation...

As to price, they all seemed much of a much I thought - i.e. expensive for what they are!

wildebus

Forum Member
I've got a Volvo on order. Volvo originally had a deal with Newmotion to install charging points, but their lead times extended massively and so with Volvo's support I switched to Pod Point. They are installing next week.

Another factor with the choice is where you recharge if you're out and about. Pod Point seem to have a more extensive network than many. I realise that there is electrical compatibility amongst the makes, but many require you to have an account and/or their own app. Just one more aggravation...

As to price, they all seemed much of a much I thought - i.e. expensive for what they are!
Out of curiosity .....
You mention about charging network when out and about .... so when you see a charge point, that is a proprietry one in terms of what? models of cars it works with, suppliers you are signed up with? Is there a standard connection adapter or do you have to have different adapters for different charge point brands in order to plug in?

After you posted, it made me wonder as, as I understand it, the various charging points I have seen in Scotland in Car Parking areas are free to use - but will they work with all electric cars?

MarkJ

Forum Member
I believe (not having tried it yet - my car is due in a week or so) that most charge points belong to a provider. The easiest way to use them is if you have an account with the provider. If not, you might have to work out how to pay. This might be as simple as finding a payment page (assuming you have a phone signal...) but one I looked at said you needed to download their app.

I imagine it will get easier with time, like many of these things do.

PS there is no problem (I understand) with electrical compatibility, certainly not with new-ish cars. V old electric cars might have an issue.

Last edited:

trevskoda

Forum Member
Think 3 phase will be required from now on, I'm told you can get it free up to early spring next year, best ph and inquire.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)