NO VSR / Split charge or anything else !! Cyrix or Battery Protect

wildebus

Forum Member
So new Merc is wired direct from Vehicle battery to leisure side on +ve with NO VSR or anything else in the way (AAGGGH!!)

Is it best to get one of these:
www.onboardenergydirect.co.uk/shop/Victron-Cyrix-12-24V-230A-Intelligent-Battery-Combiner-CYRIX_12_24V_230.html#SID=200
OR could I use one of these, which would have more options in terms of monitoring
www.onboardenergydirect.co.uk/shop/Victron-Smart-Battery-Protect-BP-220-Amp.html#SID=314
??
TIA
Funilly enough,I have both of those items :)

OK, one bit is very simple ..... the Victron Battery Protect devices are an absolute no-no for fitting in that setup. They don't make it clear enough in their information until you read the manual in detail, but the Battery Protect should only ever be used in a uni-directional configuration. There is nothing that physically stops the current going in the opposite way, but it will likely catastrophically damage the unit.

Where you would use the BP is in a circuit from the battery to the Loads, and you had the charging device on a seperate leg coming into the battery (so not via the BP). Or to control Lithium Battery Charging (turn the BP on and off via a temp controller say).

Anyways, you said on another post that "... The cable running from +ve vehicle side to +ve Leisure side is pretty hefty 10mm by the looks ..." and there is no cable protection (e.g. Fuses)?
If that is the case, what I think you need is a complete Split-Charge kit with fuses, holders, PROPER cable and a VSR/Battery Combiner (for example, one of these .... https://wildebus.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=79_85&product_id=110 )

10mm Cable - if you are referring to 10mm2 - is totally inadequate for a VSR Split-Charge. If it is 10mm diameter, then it will probably (educated guess here) be a 16mm2 cable, in which case you could keep that cable (still add fuses!!!) and use a VSR, or preferably a Battery Combiner such as this unit - https://www.onboardenergydirect.co....20a-intelligent-battery-combiner.html#SID=200
That would be the one I would recommend rather than the 230A unit you linked to as it is very unlikely you would ever be able to delivery over 100A from the Alternator or have a battery setup that would take that much. For that reason, the 230A Victron model is overkill as well as being over twice the price.
If you were to fit the 230A unit for a particular reason, you should also upgrade the cable from the proposed 16mm2 to 25mm2, 35mm2 or even 50mm2 if a longer run (say batteries at the back of the van).

RAW

Forum Member
OK, one bit is very simple ..... the Victron Battery Protect devices are an absolute no-no for fitting in that setup.
Good to know (y)
If that is the case, what I think you need is a complete Split-Charge kit with fuses, holders, PROPER cable and a VSR/Battery Combiner (for example, one of these .... https://wildebus.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=79_85&product_id=110 )
I think I will nip out now and take some pictures of the set-up as it is for reference.
Pictures are here: (the last ones are the battery areas)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Z3Uxcjtc1vx4jMiQ8

I will likely get the Split Charge Kit with the Cyrix from you then together with the other bits we talked about

Taking Van to garage tomorrow for Mechanic to give it a look over, notably the pre-heat glow plug light stays on all the time.

Thanks for your help

wildebus

Forum Member
Looked at the pics and by the battery I can't see any cable that I would see suitable for a high current device like a VSR.
The cabling looks pretty typically that of a van that was setup and then gradually adapted over time and as needs change. I would say that charger/PSU looks like something due for retirement as well TBH

RAW

Forum Member
The cable from Front Vehicle Battery to rear leisure battery is the one with the arrow below and I expect you are right in that it is not thick enough.
1582190213859.png

What do you determine to be the charger / psu ?

I would say that charger/PSU looks like something due for retirement as well TBH
TIA

ScoTTyBEEE

Forum Member
That battery box makes me sad. Write up a to do list and do some decent wiring, it won't take long and it will help you understand it much better if problems arise in the future. Stick a small fusebox in, line the batteries up and secure them from moving with a bit of wood, run some nice thick 16/25mm2 cable with VSR and it will be all good.

• Thank You
Reactions: RAW

RAW

Forum Member
That battery box makes me sad. Write up a to do list and do some decent wiring, it won't take long and it will help you understand it much better if problems arise in the future. Stick a small fusebox in, line the batteries up and secure them from moving with a bit of wood, run some nice thick 16/25mm2 cable with VSR and it will be all good.
Thanks for the information, it will be something to do when I get the Van back from the mechanic.

ScoTTyBEEE

Forum Member
It's always the way with these things. My last van was coachbuilt but I still had lots of messing around to do at first.

Reactions: RAW

wildebus

Forum Member
This is the basic starting point I go for with a Campervan/Motorhome system

1582206472394.png

Keep everything logical and tidy so you don't need to try and work out what is what every time you look at it.
If you don't have an inverter then ignore that.
Don't have a Battery Monitor? Get one! If you don't get one, then ignore the shunt - so -VE goes from Battery Bank to Ground Post/Busbar.
Keep the high power stuff on the Main distribution fusebox; put the lower power stuff on the blade fusebox.
If you have more high power devices then the midi Fusebox supports, then get a pair of them - one for charging (power in) and one for loads (power out).
Only ever have one "tail" connection on the ground and only one "tail" on the +VE at the battery bank; not a whole jumble and mess of random wires hanging off the post terminal (only exception is when you have a battery monitor system that needs as close a +VE connection as possible, such as a Victron BMV, Smart Battery Sense and the like).

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)