newbie with new build

cozz

so guys, after introducing myself on the newbie section

A guy i know is currently building me a camper

Im a transit man, have had 3 for work, and just ordered a new one. Wanted a non white van - so last oct bought an EX centre parcs minibus - because loved the dark green colour. Which I think will make it quite discreet

We have been renting holiday cottages on Mull, Skye, Harris etc last 3 years for hols, so we re going to use this camper for these trips along with others

van was selected as a minibus because its got opening windows already, one skylight, headlining, lower side step. It has done 115k, 4 years old, with a print out of all work ever needed - which is only tyres, brakes, bulbs, plus new clutch 8,000 miles ago. Took it for MOT and now its got 12 month MOT.

So a guy I know locally does conversions, Ive seen his work before and was impressed, only a youngish bloke, but works on stuff as if he is doing ti for himself.

The plan is, to make it seat 4 people, sleep 2, with room for 2 mountain bikes in rear.

so heres some pics

bed/seating frames mocked up, fitted slate effect laminate flooring, had diesel night heater installed.

The wall at the back will house a bluetooth sounder and a 40" LED tv. flush fit mounted from the back

Got a 90 cm sunroof from eBay locally for £60 much larger than a lot of skylights, there is one fitted factory standard in the rear roof, but non opening, this one opens up

My mate reckons he will be done in about another 2 weeks, he quoted me 4 weeks for entire build - he's just doing mine at the moment, so he's fairly full time on it

I had rear and some side windows blacked out with vinyl, he's fitted insulation behind 6mm mdd boards carpeted with high insulation carpet, we are fitted roller blinds behind the pelmets, so you won't see them, with LED uprights and down lights under the units

Front seats will be some recaro ones from a mondoe st2200 I have bought, these will be on swivels

Whadda you think?

groyne

Looks like he's doing a neat job. Are you fitting a shower? It will come in handy after mountain biking.

Debs

Forum Member
Coming on very nicely. I prefer non-white as well :drive:

Last edited:

Looking nice. Thinking of a sunroof myself. I have a vent up the rear what has a slight leak but rather than fix as its old and ugly i may go for a tilt sunroof.

Looser cruiser

Good choice of van big mini buses may sometimes have some miles but never been a builders van and suspension won't be shot with carrying excessive weights glass already there think if I was doing a conversation that's exactly the van I'd have?

cozz

yeah, minibus make a good van to convert

also many are for sale with no VAT, which might be better for some people

Mine has a limiter set at 62mph so has never been thrashed (hopefully)

and most are 115 bhp, mine is the 135 model

IM not having a shower - in fact I'm not having a toilet fitted either

but for a shower, open both rear doors to 90 degree, ill get a shower curtain pole that goes across the 2 with a curtain, and a simple 12v shower head and pump that just feeds from a water container. so regular temp water with a kettle full of boiling water in the top to take off the chill should do it

Im not sure how much we will be "wild" and how much we will be on a site of some sort anyhow

I got some stainless side bars and wheel trims to fit on.

Im very pleased with how the build it going, went down this morning, sunroof is now all fitted, and looks great, it even has blinds built in !

For whats its worth Cozz i was looking into getting the limiter taken off my convoy (Ford Engine) and a re map. I was quoted £200. That would be taking 90bhp to 115.

cozz

yeah, i know a couple of places that could prob remove limiter, will ask them if they can sort it

would be better for overtaking lorries on motorway if it wasn't limited

Looser cruiser

I've had transits for years for work and I can't see past them they just get on with job mines are tippers with same engine and double back axils. You could probably get a nice safari roofrack with ladder on back door would give you loads of extra storage ide keep the outside as is it looks like a forrestey commission van you wouldn't get a second glance parked up with that colour. Get someone do do an oil change on back diff there prone to a little water getting in and contaminating oil might just save you bigger job down line.

cozz

yeah, I'm sure some magnetic forestry enterprise signs would be a great accessory !

cozz

units are all in, doors on with push button knobs and stuff

Tomorrow TV and soundbar is being fitted, I've ordered a couple of thule bike clamps to hold bike steady in the rear compartment of the van

tracks in the floor are for quick release double seat for when carrying passengers - so it will seat 4 in proper seat belted seats, and sleep 2

cozz

Today the TV and sound bar were fitted, foam for cushions is in place, off to upholsterer tomorrow

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)