New van build (MH2 Ducato Sportivo) - CAD pics...

activecampers

Forum Member
Hi

Due to unfortunate life events screwing up 2020 (e.g. coronavirus cancelling backpacking; wife foot injury also stopping backpacking and swiss mtb) we've brought forward our next van build as its something we can do from home :)

Ordered new Ducato Sportivo MH2 which is a mean beast and optioned out - hopefully get May/June but no date yet
Ducato-Sportivo-Red-on-Black.jpg

Design is for 2 berth, fully kitted with bikes on board

Some cad pics
q1.JPG
q2.JPG
q3.JPG
q4.JPG

And if anyone is *that* interested, lol, a CAD walkthrough showing some of the other features/reasoning. CAD is rough and ready, though to scale, so finishing design features not included

Totally get the layout is unique and not for everyone, that's us :) And a little black sheep will suit being a rebel in a field of white ones!

Maybe this will interest some of you :)

Watch this space

activecampers

Forum Member
Personally would prefer a fixed bed as I loathe making beds every day if on the move.
Looks good though, hope the build goes well and sorry to hear about the problems you have been facing @activecampers

With 1700+ nights, and no fixed bed - we won't miss it. As long as the bed can be converted, and made, and me get in it before the kettle boils for the wife to make a cuppa then its ok. (Time will tell!!!!) The bed "construction" will be unique - it'll either work and be great. Or not. lol.

The problems are, compared to many, trivial. Lots would swap with us. So can't really complain. Does make us even more appreciative for the decisions we made years ago to do what we can when we can..... You never know. Hopefully things will right themselves soon.

I'm curious, what's the little man doing in the 1st cad image, are you having an access hole cut in the off-side wall? Only joking!!

Phil

lol - there is an idea! Good spot! (Or, if in France, he is just using the rear wheel)

• Funny
Reactions: RAW

Millie Master

Forum Member
Personally would prefer a fixed bed as I loathe making beds every day if on the move.
Looks good though, hope the build goes well and sorry to hear about the problems you have been facing @activecampers
I honestly can't understand anyone having a fixed bed in a panel van conversion, what a complete and utter waste of space!! And space is what you need in one of these,mostespecially if there is morethan one of you and in my case 3 dogs as well.
Our pull out bed takes no more than a minute to fully make up and even less time to put away.

Phil

activecampers

Forum Member
I honestly can't understand anyone having a fixed bed in a panel van conversion, what a complete and utter waste of space!! And space is what you need in one of these,mostespecially if there is morethan one of you and in my case 3 dogs as well.
Our pull out bed takes no more than a minute to fully make up and even less time to put away.

Phil

As we were "well known" on the internet, the converter of our last van paid us both to be on the stand at NEC for a few year.

I was astounded by peoples comments on the van and how strongly their opinions were (e.g. non-changeable). Shows why the mainsteam do what they do. e.g.
  • Must have 2 singles - never sleep in a double. vs. Must have double
  • Showers and loo are a waste of space - never use them always use campsite. Why do makers put them in. vs Wow, small shower and loo - perfect
  • Must have an oven - I need to cook my roast. vs. Ovens are such a waste of space
  • Where does the TV go, I must have a TV. vs. Why have a TV in here?
  • Lovely colour. vs. I must white
etc etc. We pretty much gave up giving alternative views as people just tended to tell us what was wrong with the vans and why they wouldn't buy it. Like we cared lol - SOD OFF!!!! But it was eye opening.

But same as our design - people tell us: You must use cab seats in a small van conversion; you must prefer a fixed bed; you don't need a shower; you must have underslung water as it saves space; you should use a white/silver van; don't buy new buy an old white van its cheaper etc etc. But 100% of other people don't use vans exactly how we do, so they are all right for themselves, but wrong for us. That's why our van doesn't exist on the market lol

RAW

Forum Member
can't understand anyone having a fixed bed in a panel van conversion
I guess a pull out bed would do the trick too but most van's I have come across seem to have fixed double at rear with storage at back accessed through rear doors and/or under bed. Not seen a Pull Out bed anywhere that can be left made (it is the bed-making that is the pet-hate for us), overhead beds yes, rock n roll beds yes, pull-out bed ?? Video please ?

activecampers

Forum Member
We are going to NEC Tuesday to steal final ideas :)
We use a couple of duvets - one thin one thick. So we just get the bed "made" then roll out the bedding (which way depends on temperature, thin top thick bottom or thick bottin thin top). Duvets are goose down (IIRC). Takes seconds.
Current van is R&R bed, and takes <15 seconds to "make the bed" from a sofa (One lever, pull, roll out bedding (stored rolled behind). To go away, tidy, roll, press button for electric lift to put bed away (30 seconds).

Reactions: RAW

Nabsim

Forum Member
I am another fixed bed fan but it is totally up to the individual in what they want 👍

You must remember most purchasers of motorhomes and factory built PVC’s will normally only drive from home to a camp site then back again. A lot wouldn’t dream of cooking, showering or even using the loo in their vans (maybe use the loo in an emergency).

I haven’t come across so many folk who are adamant that their way is the right and only way in any other field, not seen it on this forum I will add. I have a coachbuilt motorhome and while I love the idea of converting a van the body is well past doing it, plus I was always rubbish at DIY lol but I love to see what people make and ideas they have. I may not use them but I often spread the word so keep it up :)

Debs

Forum Member
As we were "well known" on the internet, the converter of our last van paid us both to be on the stand at NEC for a few year.

I was astounded by peoples comments on the van and how strongly their opinions were (e.g. non-changeable). Shows why the mainsteam do what they do. e.g.
  • Must have 2 singles - never sleep in a double. vs. Must have double
  • Showers and loo are a waste of space - never use them always use campsite. Why do makers put them in. vs Wow, small shower and loo - perfect
  • Must have an oven - I need to cook my roast. vs. Ovens are such a waste of space
  • Where does the TV go, I must have a TV. vs. Why have a TV in here?
  • Lovely colour. vs. I must white
etc etc. We pretty much gave up giving alternative views as people just tended to tell us what was wrong with the vans and why they wouldn't buy it. Like we cared lol - SOD OFF!!!! But it was eye opening.

But same as our design - people tell us: You must use cab seats in a small van conversion; you must prefer a fixed bed; you don't need a shower; you must have underslung water as it saves space; you should use a white/silver van; don't buy new buy an old white van its cheaper etc etc. But 100% of other people don't use vans exactly how we do, so they are all right for themselves, but wrong for us. That's why our van doesn't exist on the market lol
That's exactly why there will never be a perfect motorhome, built commercially. As a self builder, I put in the van what I want, and I use a design that works for me, the main criteria being - that it's comfortable, warm in the winter and cool in the summer. My taste in interior decor would not work for everyone, as I favour Bohemian and Gypsy. If we all liked the same thing.....oohhh nooo.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)