New Relay van starts today

hiacekim

Well a whole day of turning back 5 years of builders muck and dust from the cab. Bulkhead out, seats out. floor in cab out and scrubbed , Painted inside wells no rust just sand and cement. hoover and washed...all back in.
Tomorrow will try to remove tie points with cemented in screw heads, and out the old ply lining hover and wash down .....then the fun will have to begin. Where to put the windows, what roof vents and who to get to do them for me...any recommendations , not too far from Buckinghamshire ????

Will start to get a few photos on Photo bucket soon happy days Kim

n brown

Forum Member
what sort of windows? we can talk you through doing them yourself if you fancy it,they're not too hard to do

hiacekim

S4's look so lumpy I much prefer caravan type windows .....as I have a L2 H2 and its ply lined at present I cannot see the window size opportunity's yet . I bought this van to fit on my drive ,wide enough to have the bunks across the van and stealth park up, so to avoid sites as much as possible as a pension only goes so far. Have given myself a budget of £ 7K so a mix of new and second hand might buy a donor caravan, I have seen a couple of small caravans that would nearly fit in my van . Going to have to measure 2/3/4 times and buy once. All Advice is welcome cheers Kim

ellisboy

Kim! Windows and roof vents are relatively easy to fit one you get over the thought of cutting large chunks of metal out of your hard earned investment ! I have the LWB version of your van,have a look at my build blog for some ideas .
Your budget sounds very reasonable and is similar to my final spend,using mainly new fittings.
Stephen.

Gee

Thats fab. The cleaning and prepping will pay off. Re the windows, have a look at Leisure Vehicle Windows for ideas sizes and prices. I had never used a jigsaw or had any diy experience before my build and the 2 windows were the first things I put in. The first one was pretty stressful (self induced) the 2nd a lot easier. Also have a look at SBMCC for great tips and help relating to all aspects of self build.

hiacekim

Thanks guys ...it sounds scary cutting holes roof I would do , but the side windows ???? will check out what you have suggested ..I am a full member of the small builders club and will have a look .......Where do you get the windows they use in motorhomes and caravans ??? Will keep posting, cheers Kim

Gee

For budget windows look on ebay/gumtree/preowned for caravan, boat or minibus windows (£10-£50ish) for mid range windows Leisure Vehicle Windows (£60-£100ish) and for expensive (£££) look at the seitz range Buy Seitz S4 Windows, Hinged Opening or Sliding for Caravans, Campervans and Motorhomes Quite a few companies offer discounts to members of sbmcc. Another type is the bonded window you see on crew vans and such. These are generally fitted by the supplying company or a partner company. A few talented peeps have even fitted domestic double glazing windows.

ellisboy

If your planning on sleeping in the van during the winter months,then you'll be better off with double glazed windows.

hiacekim

Yes and double glazed roof vents. I have decided now to use S4s top hinged will only need 2 just as well as for the price of them, and 2 roof vents. got to check out the solar panel sizes first, as to the size of roof vents I can fit.
Also this would be the time to put in the status aerial kit thanks kim

Flyboy

If your not overly confident try fitting but on fixing your roof light / window into a piece of scrap metal or plywood first worth the time it takes in the long run.Remember measure twice cut once.:idea-007:

oldish hippy

Forum Member
S4's look so lumpy I much prefer caravan type windows .....as I have a L2 H2 and its ply lined at present I cannot see the window size opportunity's yet . I bought this van to fit on my drive ,wide enough to have the bunks across the van and stealth park up, so to avoid sites as much as possible as a pension only goes so far. Have given myself a budget of £ 7K so a mix of new and second hand might buy a donor caravan, I have seen a couple of small caravans that would nearly fit in my van . Going to have to measure 2/3/4 times and buy once. All Advice is welcome cheers Kim

crumbs 7k i bought a complete relay for a lot less than 7k

hiacekim

crumbs 7k i bought a complete relay for a lot less than 7k

Took some time to find a white L2H2 with the 120 and aircon satnav etc. Full service history with the cambelt service done. Now have to fit cruise and the cab parts done (hopefully) anyone want a steel bulkhead ? I need 2 captains seats, Kim

n brown

Forum Member
you'll be pleased to hear that seitz windows are the easiest to fit and I speak from experience,top hung is good as you can open them in the rain.bit more of a faff putting one in the sliding door ,but that's the most important one imo

QFour

As others said in another post. Don't put the roof lights over the bed just in case they leak ........

hiacekim

ongoing Relay

Retrofit cruise was given a knockback today 2 garages saying cannot be done , so Rhino or Conrad Anderson then £399 fitted . View attachment 16270View attachment 16271

Tried to sort out reversing kit today but this strange tow bar arrangement means only 2 sensors on bumper ,perhaps I will put the other 2, left and right at roof level, that organise cruise fitting, that's my jobs for this week Kim

hiacekim

Well took the bumper off, ousted the tow bar, fitted reversing sensors :eek: fitted reversing camera and colour 7 inch monitor :D radio stopped working so fitted new CD/USB/Radio .......don't you just love it when you open it up and several people have been at the wiring, parrot this and security that ,so ignore it all and gave it all a clean 12v supply ..job done . going to drive the van about some more ,as I am not sure its the right size for me. Compromise's who have them .Might have to sell this base and get something smaller .....Kim

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)