New dvla rules ? New van?

schubert

Hi . I am looking at Selfbuilding on a BRAND NEW van , possibly a 4x4 Sprinter 5 Ton.
Before I get into this build can somone help as I have read a lot of conflicting info on the
latest rules for registering campervan selfbuilds as real motorcaravans with the DVLA.
I have done two vans in the past , the last one ten years ago ,also a brand new van ,which I still run. It was easy then
Photos, gas check ,send off log book ,job done.

So is it still the same ? or the nightmare some people are saying on other sites !.
Is it going make a difference with a New van rather than a secondhand motor ?.
Is going over 3.5 ton going to make a difference ?.
I want to be clear on this before I give the bank manager a heart attack! .
Thanks

SCHUBERT

John Thompson

DVLA will be the only ones that can give you a definitive answer. Type approval is now an issue but a self build may be different.

John

mark61

Forum Member
I haven't re registered mine yet so can't talk from experience, but many here have re registered successfully. I'm sure age and GVW of 5 tonnes doesn't make any difference.

If your in the market for a new 4x4 Sprinter, do have a look at the latest VW Crafter 4 Motion, more £ though.

AndyC

DVLA will be the only ones that can give you a definitive answer. Type approval is now an issue but a self build may be different.

John
That's about right. DVLA say that it must 'look like' a motor caravan to qualify for a change of body type, but won't tell you what their criteria are. I would guess with a build on a new van, providing you have all the right stuff inside and it has windows fitted, it shouldn't be a problem.

Type approval I don't think is applicable to most modifications to a vehicle that is already registered, unless it is to be converted and offered for sale as a 'new vehicle'.

AndyC

ivecotrucker

You needn't worry about Type Approval, it only kicks in after x number of identical models so doesn't affect a home converter.
DVLA will examine quality & permanence of habitation to ensure it won't be quickly stripped out. They are looking for >3.5Ton "conversions" that could be re-reg as m/home then converted back to unrestricted & unregistered HGV use.

n8rbos

Plenty people do up horse boxes and the like , 7.5 t and re-reg as campers and drive on normal licences, so don't think you will have problems but as suggested contact dvla.

schubert

I haven't re registered mine yet so can't talk from experience, but many here have re registered successfully. I'm sure age and GVW of 5 tonnes doesn't make any difference.

If your in the market for a new 4x4 Sprinter, do have a look at the latest VW Crafter 4 Motion, more £ though.

Thanks for your help . I think the Crafter sounds good with it's permanant 4 wheel drive and proper diff locks but my local VW dealer tells me it's not UK type approved and VW are not going to sell them in UK, he is not happy about that as he is sure he can sell them.

Schubert

mark61

Forum Member
Thats not good news. At least your local dealer knows about it, mine didn't have a clue. If you do a fair amount of off roading, the aftermarket firms may be worth a look. Let me know if you need any links. No loss of Merc warrenty.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)