Motor home build - Plenty of questions!

Little Butch

So, I've bounced around plenty of different ideas in my head. I've gone from wanting a liveaboard boat to an American rv to my current master plan... A self build! I built a very basic weekend bus out of a transit with a bed etc about a year or so ago but I feel this may a bit out of my depth!

After looking around I'm interested in the Mercedes Varios. So here's my first question, which one?! I was looking at the 814's? Nice and big. I've only got a post 97 licence but I'll just have to do my c1 or whatever....

My big plan is a bus with a full size bed, shower, toilet, plenty of solar/batteries, kitchen etc. Basically something I can full time in! With the eventual dream of driving off into Europe...

:cheers:

SpecialK

Maybe shouldn't say this on here but try bus love it's a site full of bus nuts and self builds they have a whole world full of info

trevskoda

Forum Member
Try diy motorhome to give you some ideas though there are lots of self builders here ,and this is prob the best web site EVER.

mrbigglesworth

SBMCC for loads of info and an active forum. Cost £15 for full membership which you can get back with suppliers discounts.

Mr. B.

baloothebear

So, I've bounced around plenty of different ideas in my head. I've gone from wanting a liveaboard boat to an American rv to my current master plan... A self build! I built a very basic weekend bus out of a transit with a bed etc about a year or so ago but I feel this may a bit out of my depth!

After looking around I'm interested in the Mercedes Varios. So here's my first question, which one?! I was looking at the 814's? Nice and big. I've only got a post 97 licence but I'll just have to do my c1 or whatever....

My big plan is a bus with a full size bed, shower, toilet, plenty of solar/batteries, kitchen etc. Basically something I can full time in! With the eventual dream of driving off into Europe...

:cheers:

John Speed used an 814 as his base vehicle - Book available - Travel Vans. A Book about Caravans and Motorcaravans. Home Construction and Their Use. A Practical Guide.: Amazon.co.uk: John Speed: 9789992011584: Books

shaunr68

Last edited by a moderator:

listerdiesel

A couple of Vario conversions that I'd bookmarked for possible future reference:

Intro and Our Mercedes Vario Home -Gen rack pg.5. Ideas on uprating rear suspension? - Expedition Portal

http://www.stationary-engine.co.uk/Mercedes/Mercedes1.htm

For the first one you need to sign up on the forum to view all the images, but it is worthwhile.

I think the author of the second one might be on this forum.

Good luck and please keep us posted!

Cheers

Yes, I am on this forum, and apart from my Mercedes blog which you have kindly listed, there is also a blog section in SBMCC which has other member's input on my 614 build.

The base vehicle (614D minibus) is 4000kg empty, 5990kg gross, so plenty of weight capacity, the 814D is higher gross weight at 7500kg.

Peter

baloothebear

Have you considered an Fiat ELWB? These are very popular with the Self-Bilders and with good reason: Plenty of space, more up to date engines and probably a bigger choice of used vehicles

Little Butch

Thanks for the link, I'll take a look. I'm not too worried about the speed, as long as I can do 60mph I'll be happy.

Ive found an 814 advertised on ebay, it looks pretty tidy but has covered 234k miles, what do you lot think about that?

Darcar

Forum Member
Hi.....

Vario 's have pretty much bullet-proof mechanical . So you don't have to worry to much about the mileage, the body work is probably more important, they have a massive truck chassis so no worries there either.
The worst rusting area is under the slam panel under the windscreen. Looj up both sides of the panel where it meets the wings. Also the skirts rust out to but these are easily replaced.

There's plenty of buses around at sensible prices like Peter's, or the grp bodied buses, which are also rust free ! the lwb vans are a little harder to find,but I think they do give you a great vehicle to start from...

Good luck with your build ...Darren.. View attachment 47634
If you're interested our Vario build is on the new "diy motorhome" fourm.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)