Mobile CCTV

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
As per title, how many of you have installed it or are planning on doing so? If so how far are you going? GPS, 3/4G?
Bad experiences, what to avoid.

Nabsim

Forum Member
I will keep an eye on this as it’s something I keep thinking about. I think Nesting Zombie posted what he had butted in The Nest a year or so back but technology and prices will have changed a lot no doubt since then

Squiffy

Forum Member
As per title, how many of you have installed it or are planning on doing so? If so how far are you going? GPS, 3/4G?
In my experience from years ago ( In the mid 80's) I was the area sales manager for a security company called ATI Industries, these alarms that we sold were very expensive at the time and were only sold on a "We fit it principle". But those in the trade, were well aware that all that was really needed was a "Dummy" wall box outside and that was 99 times out of the proverbial 100 stopping your house from being burgled. Since that time I have always had a "Dummy " box on the wall until just recently when I fitted an all singing all dancing wifi alarm to my garage. However as far as the tech for your vans I would say save your money put a dummy cctv camera up because if a professional thief has targeted your van true cctv or car alarms/immobilisers are not going to stop them having it away. 😏 Phil

Last edited:

wildebus

Forum Member
it is something I have looked at, seen various install by youtubers - both UK and US - and will be interested what you find.

If it is for internal security, then a cloud based setup would be better than a local hard drive solution (if vehicle is stolen, you can't get to the hard drive). Also cloud-based lets you monitor remotely. Obviously needs always-on internet for that. With your Cerbo you have a tracker built-in as well with the simple addition of a UPS receiver.

I have a single camera inside which is motion-activated and also by demand. It has a mic and speaker so you record sound and can also talk to anyone who may not be welcome ("hello, you are being recorded. bugger off" for example).

External use - the same really, but with a multi-split screen so you can view all angles while safe in your van (as Neil is talking about).

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
The cameras I have fitted so far are more to deter other drivers. Crash for cash and the like. Like Squiffy said they don’t even have to work! As I’m doing away with the opening rear door, I thought the space used by the door handle would be good for a reversing camera.
Now as for perving on what’s going on outside, I hadn’t thought of that. ;)

Motion triggered and cloud storage, not a bad idea. GPS and a wireless connection with the Cerbo all married together sounds very geeky.

wildebus

Forum Member
fitting cameras ....
I find the reversing camera invaluable.
I have a general rear-view camera. That I think could be useful. However the one I have does not work well for that though (the sign you see on Mirrors .. "the object may be closer than it appears"? very much that situation).
Another camera that *could* be useful is one pointing down by the waste water outlet? if you tend to go to places where you can stop over a grate and open the tap, I can see a good value in that (especially if you have a remote release).
Maybe a front facing camera if manouvuering in tight spaces? I am tempted to move my rear-view to a front view for that purpose.

wildebus

Forum Member
The Urban Motorhome has what looks like a good setup in terms of cameras - not sure if he saves to the cloud or not?
Guy is Darran and makes interesting videos. Nice guy (y)

trevskoda

Forum Member
I bought a cloud bassed cam for my garage wall outside, so far spent hrs and still cannot fathom it out or get it working on my so called smart ph or pc. :mad:

Pudsey Bear

Forum Member
I bought a small camera to fit to the van last year, but then sold the van, I've hung on to it in case another use occurred to me but no, so if anyone wants to make a reasonable offer I'll send it to them, or onto eBay it goes, it is steerable? and even comes with its own holesaw.

2021-09-19%2008.27.16.jpg

2021-09-19%2008.27.23.jpg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)