Mobile CCTV?

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Here's one for some of you expert tinkerers.
Due to security issues I've been having where I store my Motorhomes, I thought that some of the answer might be to put CCTV in them.
We have wifi in our works and have just managed to watch the outside cameras via the internet. Waste of time really as they don't see very well over a long range and night vison is next to useless.
So the thought was put cameras in the vehicles. I know the vehicle will be broken into just to steal the recording device, but my thought was if recording could be done via our wifi we would have the recording still.

So what would be the most cost efficient way of doing this? Is the a job for the Raspberry Pi?

Mark

Reactions: RAW

trevskoda

Forum Member
I would leave lots of chewing gum ,the type that makes you have the shiscababs,put in normal cum wrappers,after a short while you can follow the brown smelly line they leave. :LOL:

Squiffy

Forum Member
Here's one for some of you expert tinkerers.
Due to security issues I've been having where I store my Motorhomes, I thought that some of the answer might be to put CCTV in them.
We have wifi in our works and have just managed to watch the outside cameras via the internet. Waste of time really as they don't see very well over a long range and night vison is next to useless.
So the thought was put cameras in the vehicles. I know the vehicle will be broken into just to steal the recording device, but my thought was if recording could be done via our wifi we would have the recording still.

So what would be the most cost efficient way of doing this? Is the a job for the Raspberry Pi?

Mark
Without sounding defeatist Mark, I feel that the money time and effort really does not add up as if they have broken in the damage has been done and with today's modern police they will thank you for the footage and put it in their evidence store never to be viewed again, as it's just another vehicle break in " Who cares" certainly not the over stretched police.😳 Phil.

Karimba

Hi Mark,
You could install zoneminder on to the Pi and set it to send alert images (motion detection) via ftp or email off-site so if they do nick the camera/Pi then you have the images.
I have a very similar setup.

Cheers
Adam

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Without sounding defeatist Mark, I feel that the money time and effort really does not add up as if they have broken in the damage has been done and with today's modern police they will thank you for the footage and put it in their evidence store never to be viewed again, as it's just another vehicle break in " Who cares" certainly not the over stretched police.😳 Phil.
Although I don't condone direct action, I think it will escalate to it. Even if it's only posting images of them on social media.
This weekend half the roof tiles are being stripped from our building and then the roof is being boarded over before retiling. Not a cheap exercise and not easy with your leg in plaster.

smdts

does the wifi reach your camper? some cameras upload to the cloud when connected to wifi, I know blackvue do.
either that or if you have mains in the camper a hik dvr, 5mp camera with the pir on it and a 3 homefi router.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
does the wifi reach your camper? some cameras upload to the cloud when connected to wifi, I know blackvue do.
either that or if you have mains in the camper a hik dvr, 5mp camera with the pir on it and a 3 homefi router.
I'd rather it work from 12 or 24 volts, saves running an inverter 24/7.
I expect the wifi reaches to the extend of our property, well I hope so as some of the new cameras that are going to be fitted need setting up in place.

wildebus

Forum Member
I had a brief look at this kind of thing in the past and thought the 'direct to the internet' type IP Cameras seemed the best idea and if they are independant from each other, rather then linked to a central recording system it would probably be good as well?
Pretty sure cameras would work on DC rather than AC voltage so at the worst you would just replace the Transformer for each camera with a little DC-DC buck/boost regulator.

I'd be interested what cameras you find/choose. Most CCTV Camera seem to be quite bulky and obvious (I guess that is part of the deterrent thing?)

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
What I had in mind was to mount 3 cameras in the cab. You can buy commercial systems, but they seem to be too expensive for a low resolution system.
We ran a test with a motion triggered stand alone device, it seems they don't trigger behind glass.
My idea is to use small domestic type cameras, two mounted on the door pillars, and one upside down mounted in front of the rear view mirror. I expect they will have to be constantly recording as again there might be triggering issues. So a domestic DVR device fits this bill.
Using the network socket I'd like it to remotely view as well, so getting it on the works wifi and possibly with a gsm dialler sent text alerts.
Though in reality the physical sight of the cameras will help.
Today a nice little 12v PIR and timed relay device turned up. This could be used to power a little screech box as a stand alone device or as a trigger for the alarm system. I think the alarm system still has a spare trigger contact. The PIR could be mounted inside the bodywork over the fuel tank, so when armed it will trigger if anyone reaches for the fuel cap.

RAW

Forum Member
I have a small'ish device from Humax that I use at home and it does cloud storage and has app on phone. Pretty good really and range not too bad.
It is this one https://uk.humaxdigital.com/product/humaxeye/

Maybe inside the Van something similar or a hidden wildlife type camera that records to SD card like

The cloud based and app service Humax use is from Y-Cam and it's pretty good so anytiung that is Y-Cam compatible would probably work on the Cloud front

Hopefully that helps a bit

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)