Mixing AGM and Wet Cell Battery Types

SquirrellCook

Forum Member

• Thank You
Reactions: RAW

RAW

Forum Member
I had 3 x 90ah PowerFrames and my useage pattern killed them in a little over 12 months.
Interesting, I guess if top up is not taking them over 60% charge or they are dropping below 50% charge then doesn't do them any good.
LEFT camera on and Wifi Hotspot leaving Van at mechanic's so mine are probably depleted, solar panel is probably only 100W (not measured yet) and although she will be outside a lot I doubt much top up will happen by Solar in current weather or with the current controls and wiring. So probably going not not do the PowerFrames much good !!
SAD FACE
😭

wildebus

Forum Member
If you have to leave the van unattended for long periods, I would suggest you invest in a Battery Protect device to ensure you don't take them down to levels which will compromise their service life.
A small Victron BP is not expensive, especially compared to the cost of premature batery failure.

Nabsim

Forum Member
Mine did take a lot of abuse, when I realised they were losing capacity I was still off grid and solar wasn’t giving enough each day. When you have the choice of freezing in the dark or damaging the battery’s then I am afraid the battery’s lost. I didn’t have a generator then and have been in the van since last April.

Since changing to Lifepo4 and fitting the BMV though I realise just how much I use. Folks say led lights use nothing but that’s not true, one low power led may not but get a few bright ones on and turn them on then checkthe BMV lol. I know it’s nothing compared to heating or compressor fridge but all those amps add up. I have some led strips each around a metre long and they will pull over an amp each strip. The led lights Trev uses on the other hand are just under ha,f an amp when I turn one of those on and much brighter. Dark nights in the van it all adds up :)

Good news is one of the powerframes is giving excellent service as starter battery. Not sure what to do with the other two yet

wildebus

Forum Member
....Good news is one of the powerframes is giving excellent service as starter battery. Not sure what to do with the other two yet
this last point is something I was alluding to regarding my comments to Robert re 1) do a real-world capacity test and 2) A Halfords battery check that will likely confirm the battery wil work fine as a Starter Battery does not say anything about how good it still is as a Leisure Battery.

Nabsim

Forum Member
this last point is something I was alluding to regarding my comments to Robert re 1) do a real-world capacity test and 2) A Halfords battery check that will likely confirm the battery wil work fine as a Starter Battery does not say anything about how good it still is as a Leisure Battery.
Yes it plays with your head a bit when a battery works extremely well to start but has lost capacity lol

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
I did a simple capacity test and how to go about it a while ago, but I guess no one noticed. It’s even adjustable to suit the demand on any setup.
It’s funny how everyone remembers how not to do something when quickly they forget a working method.
Dave “wildebus’ puts a lot of time and effort into his expectations and I expect many don’t appreciate it.
So how long should you bang your head against the wall?

wildebus

Forum Member
Hi, SC, I know mine sounded relatively complex, but it is a way which (IMO) means you can get a realistic value entered into a device like a Victron BMV (after all, if you don't know what your actual battery capacity is, the money spent on a BMV is somewhat wasted :( )
I make the assumption that other folk also read the various posts and may find them useful even if they don't interact?

A couple of emails this week for example on different topics makes it worthwhile to carry on the waffle ....
From 'paul' - "....Can I also say a big thanks for all the advice you’ve given and questions you’ve answered. "
From 'andy' - "...Morning David, Thanks for all your help & advice ...."

Last edited:

Nabsim

Forum Member
I did a simple capacity test and how to go about it a while ago, but I guess no one noticed. It’s even adjustable to suit the demand on any setup.
It’s funny how everyone remembers how not to do something when quickly they forget a working method.
Dave “wildebus’ puts a lot of time and effort into his expectations and I expect many don’t appreciate it.
So how long should you bang your head against the wall?
Not sure who this was aimed at but if me then I knew how to do capacity tests and did them on the battery’s I took out with son in law last year. If it wasn’t me then ignore this 👍

• Funny
Reactions: RAW

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)