Microwaves ...

Soxandjeff

I am in the process of furnishing my van.
For those who have fitted microwaves in their vans .. how did you fix them down please?

Jays

I am in the process of furnishing my van.
For those who have fitted microwaves in their vans .. how did you fix them down please?

With screws!

Glue!

Wooden feet to trap it!

Foam!

A wedge!

Inertia!

A door!

A short lead!

A commanding command!

An extra body to hold it in place!

Nabsim

Forum Member
We do have one fitted that has only been used twice but I dont know how it is held down, I think it has a plate at the back holding it but not sure. I am not back in the van for a few days but will see if I can find out over the weekend and post again if I can

Soxandjeff

We do have one fitted that has only been used twice but I dont know how it is held down, I think it has a plate at the back holding it but not sure. I am not back in the van for a few days but will see if I can find out over the weekend and post again if I can
Thank you. I`m a little nervous of putting crews into it when I don`t know what`s on the inside.

trevskoda

Forum Member
Thank you. I`m a little nervous of putting crews into it when I don`t know what`s on the inside.

If you open the outer shell look where screws can go without contacting anything, use l brackets to hold down, dont just let it sit as flying objects can kill.
Where are you going to get power for that,gas hob/oven better.

Soxandjeff

If you open the outer shell look where screws can go without contacting anything, use l brackets to hold down, dont just let it sit as flying objects can kill.
Where are you going to get power for that,gas hob/oven better.
I don`t think the microwave will be a permanent feature and will change to a small gas cooker in the future.
For now it`ll be run off of the leisure battery and there is a double burner camping stove packed away under the bed.

QFour

You will need a decent sized Inverter with good short cables and a good leisure battery. Most of the MH manufacturers put them in a cupboard and then fasten them in. We used to make a plate at work to fasten cash drawers to counters. Remove the feet fit the plate and put the feet back on. You have not drilled any holes and now have something to fasten bolts to.

harrow

Forum Member
Strap it down with a ratchet strap ?

The last microwave I took apart had some security screws on the case.

Nabsim

Forum Member
I haven’t forgotten about this just not figured out how it’s held in yet. I can see what looks like alli Andre at the bottom rear or the microwave but haven’t been able to see what’s been done apart from that.

I am asking they have bolted ange to microwave then captive bolts with nuts under the shelf. Will see if I can get more info today but don’t want to dismantle all the cupboard :)

TimW

Microwave fitting and powering.

I fitted a small microwave in my conversion. Basically the cabinet was built relatively tight, and then the oven was secured to prevent lateral movement with wooden battens. An additional metal strap was used to ensure that the oven could not bounce up off the base of the unit. I have travelled circa 7000 miles since the fitting, without any problem. As for power, I have provided a 4 KW inverter which peaks at 8 KW, and is only used when the engine is running. The power is provided by the vehicle's alternator, via a battery to battery charger from Sterling Power. The same power source is used to power my better half's 2 Kw hair dryer. Both of these appliances are only generally used for relatively short periods, so running the engine for a few minutes is not a problem. On a slightly different note, I heat up my water using 240 volts whilst driving, pulling circa 800 watts.

P.S. The microwave is only a secondary or occasional cooking source. My main cooking facility is a diesel powered Wallas unit.

bobj808

I've just ordered a Daewoo QT3 as it is only 600W with start up of just under 1000W so it will run comfortably off my genny or EHU. Gets great reviews from mh peeps. £59 from Asda which is a fair bit cheaper than anyone else. It's got real small dimensions and pretty basic. OK it'll take an extra minute to heat my soup which equates to a few gulps of cidre. I know from the dimensions it fits in my cupboard above my freezer - fitting it in, well I'll think of something to secure it.Bob

Last edited by a moderator:

Nabsim

Forum Member
Sorry John I have looked at this a few times now and cannot see how it has been fixed, I can see a piece of alli angle if I look down the side (not easy to spot unless you are looking for it) but I can’t se anything going through the shelf, I removed the cover piece above the fridge so I could see.

It must have been built on to the shelf as it was assembled and I don’t want to dismantle the unit. That is probably the best way if you can design with a removable shelf. You could glue bracket (angle) to shelf and screw to back of microwave then slide shelf in and retain.

Soxandjeff

Sorry John I have looked at this a few times now and cannot see how it has been fixed, I can see a piece of alli angle if I look down the side (not easy to spot unless you are looking for it) but I can’t se anything going through the shelf, I removed the cover piece above the fridge so I could see.

It must have been built on to the shelf as it was assembled and I don’t want to dismantle the unit. That is probably the best way if you can design with a removable shelf. You could glue bracket (angle) to shelf and screw to back of microwave then slide shelf in and retain.
No problem Neil and thank you for your time.
I think I`ll probably build a temporary frame for it to sit in. As I previously stated I`ll more than likely fit a small gas stove into the van in the future.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)